quitting

Whatever you want to share with your RM.com friends! Chat away!

Moderator: Shirluban

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

quitting

Post by WorTeX » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:49 pm

asd
Last edited by WorTeX on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yttrasil
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:quitting

Post by Yttrasil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Do like everyone else, make money from playing poker... a hell a lot easier than making it from mahjong and then play mahjong for fun and recreation since it\'s just that much more of a fun game. :blush:

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:45 am

You can not make money off of Mahjong. Period. There are exceptions to this (most of them are male) but it\'s best to ignore them. Anyone who tells you they make their income from Mahjong is probably not telling you the whole truth and could probably be making much more if they stopped playing Mahjong.

Was money really the main reason you played? And became a moderator of this forum?

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:25 pm

I\'m assuming, Ben, that one can\'t make money off Mahjong because the stakes tend to be so low- such that the time/payback ratio is not viable, right?

Do you think there is an opening in the market for a really good (i.e. not mahjongtime.com) cash mahjong site with poker style tournaments? It would be a great incentive for pros and aspiring players alike. Why doesn\'t this exist in Japan (offshore) already?

I know there was one called MJ Enbu but it closed without explanation after a few months.

ReachNL
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ReachNL » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:53 pm

Isn\'t it great that you cannot make money by playing mahjong? That means it is a game just for FUN!

ReachNL
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ReachNL » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:55 pm

PS: I am *not* a FRESH reacher.I have played this game for over twelve years! (So why am I not a better player than I actually am?)

Bunta
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Bunta » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:46 pm

I think money is the reason that poker spread the way it does. But i really like the way Riichi is played here in europe!!! People play this game cuz they love it and you can feel this great athmosphere in every tournament. It is still a competion but on a friendly way. You can meet people from all over europe (or better from the netherlands :P ) and talk about the game you like and just have fun. When money is envolved it would ruin all this!!!

P.S @ Wortex are you sure about quitting???

ReachNL
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ReachNL » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Of course he is not… He is just as mad on reach as you & I are, and he wants to make the first reach mahjong tournament in Finland a great success. If he really was, Jenn would have fired him from his job as a moderator at once!
We will support you in any way we can, Wortex. Already putting my savings aside for an airline ticket to Helsinki! :silly:

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gemma » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Yeah he better not be quitting! Who am I going to lose money at blackjack with before tournaments?!

Wortex - you better take that back right now!

gartheee
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by gartheee » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 pm

There are definitely people who make money playing Mahjong but they are pretty rare and they are really REALLY good. They are of course playing at more expensive higher rate mahjong parlors, the kind where you are playing at risk of being arrested during a surprise visit from the police. While I play at those places sometimes (and even win sometimes) I have no illusions as to how I compare against those guys. In general, I would say the average money making player (ura-pro) is far FAR stronger than than the average \"pro\" who generally just gets that title by passing some association\'s pro test. Consider that the vast majority of players willing to go to a mahjong parlor and play people they don\'t know must have a pretty good idea what they\'re doing, and the money makers have to make their money playing on average, better than those players. They are EXTREMELY strong and I know I still have a lot to learn before I\'m anywhere close to that level.

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Great to have your feedback on the boards Garthe!

I have a couple of questions about the ura-pro phenomenon:

* How high exactly is the rate at these high rate parlors?

* Do they have any cash rewards for things like red fives, and how does this affect strategy?

* What would you guess the win/loss stats etc. are like for these ura-pro guys? How much of an edge do they have which you don\'t see quantified in online games (i.e. reading player gestures, habits, glances, faces) Is there a big difference?

* What do you think, in game terms, makes these players so much better than the average pro?