Misspellings in mahjong docs

Whatever you want to share with your RM.com friends! Chat away!

Moderator: Shirluban

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Misspellings in mahjong docs

Post by Robert » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:08 am

I have noticed some misspellings in \"official\" mahjong docs, specifically:

1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 7-crak 8-crak 9-crak 2-dot 2-dot 2-dot 5-bam 5-bam
This yaku is called \"itsu\" in the European Riichi rules, which is a spelling error. I am sure that the correct spelling is \"ittsuu\", which is short for \"ikkitsuukan\".

1-crak 9-crak 1-dot 1-dot 9-dot 1-bam 9-bam :east :south :west :north white-dra green-dra red-dra
This yaku is called \"koku shimusou\" in the official rules. This should be \"kokushi musou\", as it is a compound of \"kokushi\" and \"musou\", not \"koku\" and \"shimusou\".

It is amazing (or perhaps not so amazing) how these errors have propagated over the Internet. I know I have seen \"itsu\" for \"ittsuu\" in many places.

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:Misspellings in mahjong docs

Post by Ruro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:29 pm

well it\'s pretty much a strange concern because most of the people over the internet can\'t even spell kokushi musou :D Also there are many types in which every hand is called. And itsu is better then just saying straight (in my opinion at least). Also japanese language doesn\'t use spaces so its\'s kokushimusou if you are THAT concerned :D So let\'s just turn a blind eye to typos because thats better than those english names (outside hand = chanta brrrrrr what logic suggested this :P)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Donno if the most suited short version is \"itsu\" or \"ittsuu\".
But did you know anyone who don\'t do japanese and is still able to read/pronounce \"ittsuu\" correctly?

For \"kokushimusou\", yeah \"koku shimusou\" is not very good.
But since there are no realy fixed rule for including spaces in a kana->romaji transtription, you can as well spell it \"koku shi mu sou\", or whatever with less spaces.

Ho! I\'ve write \"romaji\", it would be better to write \"roumaji\" or \"roomaji\" or \"rômaji\" or \"rōmaji\" or even \"ro-maji\".

According my kanji dictionary, there are two official japanese transciption methods : Kunrei shiki romaji and Hepburn. Depending wich one you use, you can write \"fujiyama\" or \"huziyama\".
Don\'t need to say one method (Kunrei) is just unreadable if you\'re not able to read the original japanese text.
The other one (Hepburn) involves using flat accents who can\'t be typed on a keyboard, whatever keyboard you have. (It\'s tolerate to replace the flat accent by \"^\", if you have a french keyboard.)
Edit: You may also have troubles to display flat accents with some forums, look \"rōmaji\".

So, transcriptions are generaly made by a \"cross-over\" of these two methods, plus original stuff.
It enables to provide easy-to-write-easy-to-read content, but sometime leads to uncertain readable content.

For exemple: My own nickname on this very forum have an extra \"l\" in order to be quite-correctly readable by a non-japanese speaker.

Counter-exemple: In \"kokushimusou\" the \"ou\" stands for a prolongated \"o\" sound, but in other words \"ou\" can stand for two separate sounds : \"o\" and \"u\".
It\'s even worse in french and english, where the characters \"ou\" must be pronouce like the japanese \"u\", and is very different from the intended japanese \"long o\" sound.
Edit: Language mismatch corrected.
For my defence, attemping things like reading a foreign book while watching an other-foreign film in original version, with subtitles in a third-tongue, is not very help for language distiction.[/red]

So the officialy correct spelling in not compulsory the best readalbe spelling.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:13 pm

Hehe i hate hephburn style because it just can\'t spell the thing that has triple sounds like yuuutsu (yea 3 u :D ) and just writing things as your would like in hiragana is the best way i think. And ou and other \"long\" sounds are a problem only if your native language is english or something that does not have a ton of other \"long\" sounds :D But as i stated before itsu is good enough as long as the poker and other terms don\'t get into the mahjong terminology. (also Shirluban how do you pronounce your name Shiriruban or wha? coz thats the only way i can think of saying it in japanese, but than again i\'m no expert :P)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 am

Ruro wrote:Shirluban how do you pronounce your name Shiriruban or wha? coz thats the only way i can think of saying it in japanese, but than again i\'m no expert :P
In japanese, the "R" sound is somewhere between an (occidental) "R" and a "L".
My nickname is the japanesed version of my real name :
Sylvain -> Image -> Shiruban (-> Shirluban)

(Such a name is not very suited for this kind of stuff.)
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

deJENNerate
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by deJENNerate » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 am

That\'s why I like using English in English (><)

There are too many ways to spell Katakana. Most of these words are originally Chinese anyway.

Even Japanese names can be spelled so many ways:

大原 = Ohara*, Oohara, Ohhara
pronounced differently than
小原 = Ohara

*passport spelling