how did you learn about mahjong?

Whatever you want to share with your RM.com friends! Chat away!

Moderator: Shirluban

rotkehlchen
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: how did you learn about mahjong?

Post by rotkehlchen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Oh, that's an uncommon story!
A friend of mine used to do parody-Let's Plays of Windows games. The tile matching mahjong was the most popular and he got gifted a lot of those type of mahjong-games on steam and Let's Played them as well. In the description of one of his videos, he put this link. We watched it together and made fun of it, but somehow we also got interested. So the two of us did some research (because it looked so stupid it might be fun), found it was called Saki and accidently watched four episodes of Achiga-hen before we realised it was the second season. So we watched the original Saki together without understanding ANYTHING AT ALL ("This riichi is something dangerous, isn't it?" - "I don't know, but I'm pretty sure ron is something bad. Still no idea about those points though."). My friend dropped out after the first season, but I continued with Achiga-hen. And Zenkoku-hen. And Akagi. And this is how it all began.

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: how did you learn about mahjong?

Post by Krabman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:57 pm

It seems that anime/manga are the main Mahjong ambassadors! Cool to read all your stories!

My first ever encounter with Mahjong was a Net Yaroze game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu5VQyCXJOg

I first came across Riichi while playing Yakuza 2 for PS2 with my friend, Elvis. There was a story mission which required you to win 100 000 pts at a Mahjong parlor. As there was no way to skip it, we had to at least get the basics down. It was rough! The in-game tutorial only confused us. We did some online research and off we went. We spent many hours playing. I remember calling every possible tile and wondering why we couldn't win with our sly hadaka tanki :D We eventually beat that mission.

Some time after that, I had an idea to look for a real Mahjong set and start playing. My other friend and my cousing joined us and we started our Wednesday Mahjong sessions.

Boy, how things have changed since then... We have a club in Bielawa, I run a Mahjong blog, I've played Tenhou seriously for 2 years. We held two tournaments in our small town (one EMA)...

We're going with the flow, wherever it may take us! :)