The Ultimate Mahjong Table?

Whatever you want to share with your RM.com friends! Chat away!

Moderator: Shirluban

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

The Ultimate Mahjong Table?

Post by hirohurl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Mechanical tables have two sets of mahjong tiles, one in play and one in the guts of the machine. When you finish a game you push a button and the centre of the table opens. You push all your tiles in, press a button and the table begins to shuffle and arrange those tiles while delivering a second set of tiles to the surface. The tiles are already arranged in walls.

How much more do you want a table to do for you?

I noticed that Taiyo Chemicals sell tables that go \"one step beyond\". Is this madness or gladness?

With a Taiyo Chemicals table, you also get your hand delivered to you. Check out the mini demo video on this page:

http://www.taiyo-chemicals.co.jp/guide/ ... _auto.html

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:The Ultimate Mahjong Table?

Post by WorTeX » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:50 pm

I think company named \"Alban\" sells the same tables by the name NINJA B4 (which sounds way awesome). The table costs around 600 000 yen, which really is out of anyones price range, atleast from mine.

You can accomplish faster game with those tables, but I think it also takes the fun part of throwing dice and splitting the wall amongst players.

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Fat Dragon » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:43 pm

You can accomplish faster game with those tables, but I think it also takes the fun part of throwing dice and splitting the wall amongst players.
There\'s nothing else to be said for me.
I absolutely agree with WorTeX.

I\'ve also seen tables where you have sticks with RDF scan function, so you don\'t have to take care of the score manually (maybe that\'s no new invention, but I didn\'t know it until now).

Why do we want computer play in real life so much?

Torgo
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Torgo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:05 pm

I would think any parlor or system that takes a rake would want to speed up play as much as possible.

Similarly, anyone who wants to get the games done (professionals) instead of enjoying the game play might also want fewer delays.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:34 pm

It\'s all taste \'n\' color personal preferences.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:03 am

Tables that \"keep score\" use metal-ended scoring sticks. The cool thing about those tables is that you can press a button to check on how the other players\' scores are doing...

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:39 am

The tables that keep score don\'t really keep score, do they? (I mean: add up your points)

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:31 pm

hirohurl wrote:Tables that "keep score" use metal-ended scoring sticks. The cool thing about those tables is that you can press a button to check on how the other players\' scores are doing...
And then the cubbies where the point sticks are held are able to calculate your score by sensing the metal ends... I always wondered how that worked.

Better hope you keep all your point sticks in their proper cubbies. Although it\'d be funny to mess with your opponents by putting all your sticks in the slot for your 10k sticks ^^;.

"Vegeta, what does the table say about his point level? ITS OVER 90,000 ~~~" *cough* ... ^^;... Although, if it\'s smart enough to sense what Type of stick it is, all my heinous plans are ruined orz...
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:07 am

Aren\'t those damn mechanical tables noisy as hell? I watched a video once and it sounded like rocks were being broken up!

Gg

Who needs those sour grapes anyways?

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:44 pm

@Robert - Yep! They add up your points.

@Gg - Ah the atmosphere! Lotsa tables whirring, synthesized table voices (sexy girl, gruff man etc) crying out when you stick your riichi tenbou in the riichi socket in front of you, \"Riichi da yo!\" and (when your opponent goes riichi after you) \"Okake riichi!!\" and (special high pitch for dramatic 3rd riicher effect) \"Riichi!!!\". And all the time the comments, cries and laughter of the various groups and the crash of tiles and victorious cries of Tsumo! The occasional incredulous or anguished cry of \"Chombo?!?!\" (usually from our table), and over the top of it all the cry goes up for \"Shochu!\" or from our corner \"Mama-san! Beeeru kudasai!\" (I can\'t shake off my d*mn*d English politeness!!)

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:25 pm

hirohurl wrote:
\"Mama-san! Beeeru kudasai!\" (I can\'t shake off my d*mn*d English politeness!!)
And you should not!
4649おねがいします。

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:39 am

hirohurl wrote:@Robert - Yep! They add up your points.
You mean, like (cute gal voice) "Riichi, tan\'yao, dora 3, mangan, 4000 all"

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:30 am

... if the tables could score your hand, there\'d be a way for your opponents to hack the table and steal the data <<;. Be glad they just keep track of your point sticks.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:52 am

Tom Sloper wrote:hirohurl wrote:
"Mama-san! Beeeru kudasai!" (I can\'t shake off my d*mn*d English politeness!!)
And you should not!
Quite. I still find the abrupt way some Japanese men order food and drink rather shocking.
Robert wrote:
hirohurl wrote:@Robert - Yep! They add up your points.
You mean, like (cute gal voice) "Riichi, tan\'yao, dora 3, mangan, 4000 all"
That will be the next generation of mahjong tables. They will also be fitted with a mechanical arm that opens your tenbo drawer, rifles through the tenbo sticks and chucks the required amount on the table in front of the winner.

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:32 am

Don\'t joke on that hiro, i saw somewhere on youtube that there actually IS a table that counts points for you :P You just need to put the tiles in the designated place and have them face up and then the voice from the table will just count your han\'s and say how much points does it worth.
Also i don\'t like the idea of getting my tiles delivered with just pushing a button. Getting ready walls is just enough...