Mahjong Font

Whatever you want to share with your RM.com friends! Chat away!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Mahjong Font

Post by Ignatius » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:18 am

So I decided to download the mahjong font on Yosh´s Laboratory, Yoshiki Kita´s Mahjong Font. The one Barticle used in his USPML Riichi Mahjong guide, the 78 page´s text.

And I wanted to try it. But I´m wondering how can I write with it the sideways south tile. Looks like I cannot.

Also, how can I can do the Late Kan/Added Kan two sided tiles?

You know, when doing a Shôminkan, the previously ponned Kan, you have two sideways tiles...

If the questions looks too stupid, please bear in mind I´m extremely sleepy now...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Shirluban

Re: Mahjong Font

Post by Shirluban » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:00 am

Looking at it's character map, you get a side-way South by typing a double quote (").

You operating system most probably include a character map software (charmap.exe on Windows, hidden somewhere in the Start menu).
I'll recommend you to get a link to it : it's very handy when you work with graphic fonts like this one.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:21 pm

Shirluban wrote:Looking at it's character map, you get a side-way South by typing a double quote (").

You operating system most probably include a character map software (charmap.exe on Windows, hidden somewhere in the Start menu).
I'll recommend you to get a link to it : it's very handy when you work with graphic fonts like this one.

Wow, Thanks! That character map sure is helpful.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:24 pm

With one sideways tile you'll probably need to play with the vertical positioning or alignment of the sideways tile if you want the bottom edge of all three tiles to share a line. I composed my guide in MS Word 2010 and lowered the vertical font position by a few points for that one character.

With two sideways tiles (shōminkan) I formatted each set using a small table with zero cell margins, separate cells with horizontal or vertical text alignment and invisible cell borders.
table.jpg
table.jpg (21.14 KiB) Viewed 10566 times
BTW they continue to very kindly host it, but it is not a USPML guide.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Barticle wrote:With one sideways tile you'll probably need to play with the vertical positioning or alignment of the sideways tile if you want the bottom edge of all three tiles to share a line. I composed my guide in MS Word 2010 and lowered the vertical font position by a few points for that one character.

With two sideways tiles (shōminkan) I formatted each set using a small table with zero cell margins, separate cells with horizontal or vertical text alignment and invisible cell borders.
table.jpg
BTW they continue to very kindly host it, but it is not a USPML guide.
Oh, I see. I will do that. Thanks Barticle.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:35 pm

I was actually about to enter this forum to find a mahjong font, and then I found there is already one. However, I am looking for a METAFONT based font, not TrueType. Do you have any of that?

I could also try to write it myself, although I am not very good at the artistics; I would easily know how to add parameters, and to make the program to combine things in the tile, make rotated versions, etc, though.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Metafonts are fonts for LaTeX, right?
With files in .pfb .map .ftm .vf ?

I have such a font (the same than in this topic, I guess, converted years ago).
See the attached file. :)
mahjong_font_latex.zip
(100.65 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Shirluban wrote:Metafonts are fonts for LaTeX, right?
With files in .pfb .map .ftm .vf ?

I have such a font (the same than in this topic, I guess, converted years ago).
See the attached file. :)
mahjong_font_latex.zip
Metafonts are programs that, given various parameters (or none at all), generate the typeface in .tfm (metric) and .gf (bitmap) formats. Not only for LaTeX, but also Plain TeX. The files .pfb and .map I think are for PostScript; .vf is a virtual font. METAFONT programs themself have a .mf extension. So, no what you mentioned isn't it.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:20 pm

While this thread is still active I'll link to this other mahjong font for the sake of completeness.

http://www.fontspace.com/bridgeco/mahjong

Looks like it's another TT font though. Also there's a risk that installing this one will overwrite the other one.