back to the London Bridge

Whatever you want to share with your RM.com friends! Chat away!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

back to the London Bridge

Post by or2az » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 am

Well, it's that time of the year again, getting ready for that 1200 mile (2000km) drive from the oregon coast down 2 arizona. I'm into desert hiking and mild sunny winters.
For those who might be interested, Arizona is the relocated home of the London Bridge. It is the 2nd most visited attraction in the state, the Grand Canyon being the 1st.
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 5767 times
It was bought for two million dollars (+ shipping), dismantled in 1967, the sections numbered, shipped over to the USA, and reassembled like a jigsaw puzzle over a dug-out section of the colorado river. It became the centerpiece for a brand new community in the desert southwest, Lake Havasu City, my eventual destination. I drive (and walk) over the bridge quite a bit. I even floated under it once in a rubber raft. The lake itself was created by a dam on the river. Across the lake is California. The area also has lots of great hiking trails.
phpLzmbQF_c2PM.jpg
phpLzmbQF_c2PM.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 5767 times
That concludes my short history lesson. Thought I'd chat about something for a change that was unrelated to mahjong.
Or so I thought.......
download.jpg
download.jpg (13.25 KiB) Viewed 5769 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: back to the London Bridge

Post by Ignatius » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:50 am

Didn´t know that the United States people bought the London Bridge...

Too much flags on it, but looks cool. Just one would be Ok, doesn´t it?

You´ll never go to bed withouth learning something new.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:55 pm

There are actually 3 different flags on the bridge, the Arizona flag, The British flag, And the American flag.
It was also just one (obviously wealthy) businessman who bought the bridge. I believe he made chain saws and other various tools.
He wanted something that would draw people to his newly created city. I guess it worked.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Interesting to learn the origin of your name!

Of course London is not without a bridge now. There are many fine bridges across the Thames and the London Bridge was replaced, the latest in a long succession of river crossings at that site dating back to the Roman era.

Legend has it that the US purchaser believed he was actually buying the iconic Tower Bridge which is located just a few hundred yards downriver, but that could be an urban myth.