domain redirecting

Any suggestions or requests for the site? Let us know here!

Moderator: Shirluban

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

domain redirecting

Post by chalwa » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:14 pm

When you write in web browser www.reachmahjong.com you get on page www.reachmahjong.com/home. I think its high time to change it to www.reachmahjong.com/en as probably there can be people who dont know about new website, and /en is now main.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: domain redirecting

Post by Ignatius » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Maybe, but not everything is moved to the new site.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:58 pm

Perhaps have a simple bilingual welcome page where users can select either /en or /ja?

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:42 pm

I didnt mean, japanese and english versions, but old english and new english. Old english is there only for archive and migration process (if I understood correctly), so IMHO people whe come to site want to know news, tournamnts info, podcasts etc. and that is only on new site. So the main page should be /en, but its just my suggestion.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:50 pm

It's okay - I understood what you meant. It's clear that the homepage at www.reachmahjong.com needs to be replaced since this is the main address that many (new) users will automatically visit but it's still showing the old homepage from a month ago. It also still links to the old forums (RIP) and doesn't do an adequate job of informing people of the correct new web address to use.

It just seemed a little biased to default to the English pages so, instead of replacing old English with new English, I was suggesting the rudimentary "language gate" (is that the correct term? I know you get "age gates" in web design) to replace the current main homepage ...although the /en homepage does at least have a fairly prominent link to the Japanese homepage at the top.

Incidentally it's also very slow to load this evening. Has that volcanic ash got into the interwebs? :?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:38 pm

I see there's a redirect in place now ...and the ash seems to have cleared! :lol:

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Barticle wrote:It just seemed a little biased to default to the English pages so, instead of replacing old English with new English, I was suggesting the rudimentary "language gate" (is that the correct term? I know you get "age gates" in web design) to replace the current main homepage ...although the /en homepage does at least have a fairly prominent link to the Japanese homepage at the top.
You can default based on HTTP headers received from the client, possibly, and use the links on the top if you do not want the selection based on the HTTP headers retrieved from the client