Newbie introduction

Any suggestions or requests for the site? Let us know here!

Moderator: Shirluban

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Newbie introduction

Post by wavemotion » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Great to see the new folks - welcome all!

I've had a bit of a hiatus in the last 2 months due to some time-critical projects, but I'm getting back to a full-day of Mahjong next weekend!

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Just signed up today, figured my first post should be here!

Interests: Mahjong, Japanese History and Culture, Video Games, Mahjong, Anime, Mahjong, Soccer, Volleyball, Mahjong, Badminton, oh and Mahjong
Affiliations (club, mahjong-related online forum, league, ...): I play Mahjong Fight Club, does that count? Currently a Blue Dragon 6 Dan (after dropping down from 7 due to having to quit during a treasure hunting and losing my Orb <.< >.>) in Hanchan BII League (though going up to BI next week!). I also play at マーチャオ三宮 (A No Rate, No Smoking parlour in Sannomiya, Kobe, but only open Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays) and マーチャオEpsilon (Also in Sannomiya, but I'm there a lot less regularly). I'm registered on Ron2 but I can't seem to play well at my computer so haven't played that many games there.
Username on popular online MJ games: Ozball is a name I use everywhere online or in some Japanese games (eg MFC which has a 5 character limit on names <_<) オズボール.
Play MJ since (year): April (Easter) 2013
Rules used: Riichi
Championships: Currently participating in the KAC (Konami Arcade Championship) Hanchan bracket, but somehow I doubt I'll get too far in it. Though I think I've gotten through the qualifying stage? (Need more Japanese written knowledge to be able to decipher some of the messages/requirements)
Languages (spoken / written): English, Spoken Japanese (ぎりぎり)
Quest: To be the very best, like no one ever was!
Favorite colour: Blue
Alignment: Neutral Good. I was Lawful Good, but after that one time in that city over on that other continent.......
Cup size: I'd hope somewhere around AAA or something like that, but to be honest, I've never actually gotten measured.
Favourite Yaku: 混一色 - Honnitsu or Half Flush I think it's called in English. But my favourite combination is タンヤオ, イーペーコー, 三色同順, ピンフ, which is (I think) All simples, Double Run, Three Coloured Runs, Peace (and リーチ/Reach, ツモ/Tsumo, if I can get it)
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Riichi, Ippatsu, Tsumo, Pinfu, Junchan, Sanshoku, Iipeikou, Dora San!!! (Who got this hand?)

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Referee wrote:Riichi, Ippatsu, Tsumo, Pinfu, Junchan, Sanshoku, Iipeikou, Dora San!!! (Who got this hand?)
数え役満!(Counted Yakuman) Though you'd have to be using Red 5s to be able to get the 3 dora (or someone else having Kan'd) I'll try and get it some time, though maybe without the Ippatsu, that's just down to luck most of the time. I was in tenpai for the hand I mentioned the other day, just didn't win on it :(

I love combining multiple Yaku.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

xDsoul
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by xDsoul » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Ozball wrote:
Referee wrote:Riichi, Ippatsu, Tsumo, Pinfu, Junchan, Sanshoku, Iipeikou, Dora San!!! (Who got this hand?)
数え役満!(Counted Yakuman) Though you'd have to be using Red 5s to be able to get the 3 dora (or someone else having Kan'd) I'll try and get it some time, though maybe without the Ippatsu, that's just down to luck most of the time. I was in tenpai for the hand I mentioned the other day, just didn't win on it :(

Ur dora theorie is not entirely true your doras could come from a split trip for a pairbor just your pair and ura dora

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:33 am

xDsoul wrote:
Ozball wrote:

Ur dora theorie is not entirely true your doras could come from a split trip for a pairbor just your pair and ura dora
Yup you're right. I'd missed that possibility ><

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Lotharen wrote:Location:Georgia, USA

(sorry. omitting the rest for highlighting)

Anyway, its nice to meet all of you and I hope to make some friends!
Rowen (aka John)
You might want to check this group out (if possible):

http://www.meetup.com/greateratlantamahjong/

eikii
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by eikii » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Hey folk! How's life?
my name is Paul, 20 years old, born and raised in Vienna/Austria.
I'm playing Riichi Mahjong for 2 weeks now and all I can say now is, that I am totally obsessed with it! cant really remember how I got into it, I taught myself how to play MJ with youtube and other websites. well, still have to memorize some minor rules in order to play proper rounds.
I mainly play against CPUs at the moment (JanRyuMon mobile, Mahjong Flash, Saikyo no Mahjong 3D), but plan to play online as soon as possible when I get better.

Anyways, I'm really happy that I found this site and I'm looking forward to improve my skill and expand my knowledge on Mahjong with your help.

Interests:
- playing instruments (guitar and bass guitar)
- Motorcycles (even though I dont own one :/)
- riding my Fixed Gear
- Gin Rummy (card game)
- Big Two (card game)
- Hanafuda/Koi Koi (card game)
- recently Mahjong
Rules used: japanese/Riichi
Languages (spoken / written): german, tagalog, english
Quest: get better so I can keep up with the others, learn traditional chinese Mahjong

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:08 pm

Welcome eikii! Always good to have more people playing. If you have any questions or rules you're unsure of just ask. Also if you're looking for more games to play Riichi on I highly recommend Mahjong Fight Club. It's on the PSP and PS3, though only in Japanese. But you don't need much Japanese and there is a decent guide on GameFAQs.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

eikii
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by eikii » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:16 pm

hi ozball!
thanks for warm welcome! I really appreciate it ;)
well, I prefer to play MJ on my cellphone and PC since I dont have a console or a handheld.

actually, I do have some open questions, but I will do some proper research first, before posting my question (the forum might've answered it already).
thank you very much ^^

DarkMorford
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by DarkMorford » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:08 am

Hi, all! I started watching the Saki anime a week or so ago on a friend's recommendation, and the game seems pretty interesting. I think I've been able to pick up most of the basics, but I'm looking for something I can play on my PC/DS/Android tablet to practice and make sure I know what I think I know. :P Looking forward to chatting with you guys!

Interests: Anime, Video Games, Computer Programming
Languages (spoken / written): English, some Japanese
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi DM and welcome aboard. This single-player game is a good place to start - it's free, playable online (no download) and in English!

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Check out my PDF guide for full coverage of the rules and post in the Dojo/Reach boards if you have any questions.

Bart

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:19 am

DarkMorford wrote:Hi, all! I started watching the Saki anime a week or so ago on a friend's recommendation, and the game seems pretty interesting. I think I've been able to pick up most of the basics, but I'm looking for something I can play on my PC/DS/Android tablet to practice and make sure I know what I think I know. :P Looking forward to chatting with you guys!

Interests: Anime, Video Games, Computer Programming
Languages (spoken / written): English, some Japanese
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Seattle, huh? Well, if you have Facebook, you can look up the Seattle Mahjong Group.

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Hello Guys, I'm Masa. Japanese Junkie(雀-kie) living in Netherlands

Popular online MJ games: Mahjong fight club on iPad, Tenhou, Tonpuso. but I don't play often. I like F2F mahjong.
Play MJ since (year): 1997. Mainly at parlor as free when I was living in Japan.
Rules used: 関東ルール、点5アリアリ5-10、東南戦、一発赤裏、and some local or house rule.
Languages (spoken / written): Japanese, English

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:06 pm

Hello to all new folks!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.