General help for using a (phpBB) forum.

Any suggestions or requests for the site? Let us know here!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: General help for using a (phpBB) forum.

Post by Ignatius » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:06 pm

or2az wrote:I could use a little guidance on using the search function of the forum.
Sometimes, I try to search for posts on certain topics that I know exist but what I get back is this.

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words:

Two such items are open pinfu and double yakuman.
Is there a way to yield results for these types of search inquiries?

I looked at the advanced search options but I'm not quite following the instructions and what I do understand doesn't seem to be very advanced.
Yup. That's a problem sometimes... Forces you to look for alternatives when seaching for an specific thread or comment.

"Genaral help for using a (phpBB) forum" shouldn't it be "General help for using a (phpBB) forum"?
Last edited by Ignatius on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:43 pm

"Genaral help for using a (phpBB) forum" shouldn't it be "General help for using a (phpBB) forum"?
It is for most of them, but a few have not been corrected yet, including the original title.
I tried, but the Force was not with me.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:19 pm

or2az wrote:The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words:
Two such items are open pinfu and double yakuman.
I can see how that's a problem, but unfortunately I don't have any solution right now.
Forcing to search for common words would yield too many results, and won't be very helpful.

The advanced search ony gives more options, it doesn't search harder.

FI, I intent to upgrade the phpBB version (to 3.1.6), maybe it will help (or maybe not).
Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on it until at least one month, for personal reasons.
Ignatius wrote:"Genaral help for using a (phpBB) forum" shouldn't be "General help for using a (phpBB) forum"?
Ganaraly, yes.
(I've corrected the main title.)
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:15 pm

I can see how that's a problem, but unfortunately I don't have any solution right now.
Forcing to search for common words would yield too many results, and won't be very helpful.
FI, I intent to upgrade the phpBB version (to 3.1.6), maybe it will help (or maybe not).
Understood. The reason I brought this up is because I recently found (by accident) an older thread from 2010 titled Open Pinfu. http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... 782#p51782
When I started the newer discussion in 2015, http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... =5&t=53413, I didn't know the older one existed since it never came up in a search. At that time, I had added the words Jumbo Shrimp to my Open Pinfu title which does show up in a search, but only I know to do that, obviously. Both threads are still unsearchable, except page by page in the reach mahjong section.

OK, enough of this rather unimportant ranting, time to wish all the mahjong players out there a Happy New Year.
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.15 KiB) Viewed 25202 times
index.jpg
index.jpg (9.65 KiB) Viewed 25202 times

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:03 pm

I was asked recently to send a few screenshots in a private message and discovered that I didn't know how to do it. (ended up posting them instead).
I once sent a web image in a PM about a year and a half ago (it's still in Jenns' inbox), but I don't remember how I did it.
Even if I did, I don't think it's the same for a screenshot. ( no "copy image location")
Does anyone know an easy way to do this?

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:07 pm

the-beatles-no-reply-odeon-3_50.jpg
the-beatles-no-reply-odeon-3_50.jpg (39.87 KiB) Viewed 20670 times
Well, it took less than eight days this week, but "with a little help from my friends" (Ignatius, actually), I found a way.
I guess I got no reply because I asked for an "easy" way to do it.
This is all new to me, so forgive my ignorance. It involves an Image hosting service (free). You don't have to register.

Go to Imgur.com on a PC, click new post, upload images, browse, and select your screenshot, after you resize it, and transfer it to your PC from a mobile device.
(This is, unless, of course, you play mahjong on the PC, and know how to take a screenshot on the PC, and save it, and find it, and crop it.......etc,etc..)

The site assigns it a URL code, or whatever you call it. Hit copy.
In the forum PM, paste it in the URL button, or just paste it directly.
The Img button doesn't seem to do the job (for me).
Send message. The recipient clicks on the URL code to see the picture.

Bottom line: It's way easier just to post it as an attachment on a forum post.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

TRICK OR TREAT??

Post by or2az » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:42 am

When I tried to access a link from a post on an older thread, I got this.
20161030_171510.png
20161030_171510.png (33.95 KiB) Viewed 20358 times
I know it's Halloween but what exactly is this? NO JOKE, really!
20161030_232636.png
20161030_232636.png (201.07 KiB) Viewed 20326 times

Shirluban

Re: TRICK OR TREAT??

Post by Shirluban » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:18 pm

or2az wrote:When I tried to access a link from a post on an older thread, I got this.
It might be a post from the old forum, linking to the old site.
Knowing which thread it is would help to check if it's a link to the past.

Otherwise, I'm currently at work and can't check from here the permissions for /home, or what's in it, but since the current site is on /en instead (or /ja), I've little doubt the link is not valid anymore.

Edit:
Ok, a quick search yield an awful lot of results.
Looks like I'll have to do some links' awakening to fix it one way on another.
The old forum's move didn't took into account there would be links between worlds.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:15 pm

That sounds like an awful amount of work... :shock:
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:25 pm

Depends.
The least, lazy, task would be to redirect all /home/... to the home page. (I.e. the broken links will still be broken, but in a nicer way.)
Depending on where the links points to, it might be solvable with redirections (I think about direct links to podcasts).
But editing every post to manually fix each link one by one would be hell, indeed.

By the way, a single typo in the redirections can break the whole site. So if the site goes (shortly) down in the next days, you'll know who to blame. :roll:

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:56 pm

Yikes! Didn't mean to open a can of worms. It's really not that important. I was just curious. I run across a lot of links that are not there anymore, with various explanations. It was the word FORBIDDEN that sparked my inquiry, (and also that it was Halloween). Sorry.
Anyway, this was the link that started it all. http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... cks#p52188
20161031_091146.png
20161031_091146.png (69.19 KiB) Viewed 20294 times

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Oh, yeah. The forbidden part means the mahjong police will break in your house. :P
or2az wrote:Didn't mean to open a can of worms.
Well, I'll say the can was already open, and you only pointed out worms are leaking out.
Thanks! <-- seriously

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:48 am

It's back online.
Don't ask me what happened, I've no idea.

The jong-cast #111 is still missing, Gemma or Jenn should be able to put it back.
(Unfortunately, my local copy is corrupted so I can't put it back myself.)
:cry:

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Lately, I have been experiencing difficulty getting to the forum main page.......... sometimes.
phptpROXWPM.jpg
phptpROXWPM.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 19497 times
I get redirected to this page. All the tabs on this page linking to other pages seem to work except to go the forum page.
Coincidentally, it's the jong-cast #111 page mentioned above.

Since there are many routes to the forum, like Google, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc, and
since there are PC's, tablets, I phones, and ipod touches, where you can view in mobile friendly or full site versions, I can't keep track of exactly where and when this is happening.
So,
I have deleted every shortcut that I have to the forum like Desktop, Bookmarks, Toolbars, Taskbars, Sidebars, candy bars (whatever), and Home Screen Icons, and reinstalled (some of) them from scratch.
So far, so good. The problem seems to have gone away. Just thought I'd mention it.