Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Ignatius » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:42 pm

Barticle wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:11 am
Thanks! I'd appreciate your perspective.

No rush - I'll be hammering away at the challenges for a while as yet and trying to come up with helpful tips.
I did skim through them and the online trophies do ask to win once in both online matches. Happens for reading too fast.

Have them written down and took some notes. I'll handle everything later on and post it in that Severely in need of an English translation! post.

For some reason e-mails related to that post did not always arrive. So, should you need anything, send me a message or post here.

In any case, I'll be checking the forum often after my post. So I don't think anything will be missed.

The game seems to have more to it than it looks at first glance.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:09 pm

I'm kinda rusty and too used to playing bots. Don't think I've played online since Janline-R a dozen years ago...?!
I'd probably get the trophy for ten matches before the trophy for one win! :oops:

I've posted my original attempt at the trophy names in the other thread.
It's not essential to get them right, but I'd be happy to refine them.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:56 pm

Barticle wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:09 pm
I'm kinda rusty and too used to playing bots. Don't think I've played online since Janline-R a dozen years ago...?!
I'd probably get the trophy for ten matches before the trophy for one win! :oops:

I've posted my original attempt at the trophy names in the other thread.
It's not essential to get them right, but I'd be happy to refine them.
Got mine up. You'll see your trophy list and mine are almost the same.
Listed the objective of each trophy too.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:48 pm

Another unexpected addition to the directory today - in the Xbox section. :o

Last month D3 released one of their tabletop game compendiums and it seems to be available in English too.

https://www.d3p.co.jp/simple_xbox/01_tablegame/en/

It includes 4-, 3- and 2-player versions of mahjong. Multiple variants even.
D3TTG3PMJx3.JPG
D3TTG3PMJx3.JPG (46.69 KiB) Viewed 3276 times
It's available for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:58 pm

D3 are also releasing Simple Series G4U Vol.2 The Table Games for PS4 and PS5 next month.

(Volume 1 on PS4 was their mahjong game way back in 2014!)

Not sure if there's an English version like on Xbox.

https://www.d3p.co.jp/simple_ps/02_tablegame/jp/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH1uWYFrUTk

vyvladi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by vyvladi » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:37 pm

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

I am the author of R Mahjong - Riichi Mahjong, which is currently available on Google Play, at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... h.rmahjong

What are its main features? First of all, it allows you to play both a Local Game (against AI) and a Network Game (against other players) on a local network via Wi-Fi. Network play is possible with any number of people and bots, i.e. 4 players, or 3 players and 1 bot, or 2 players and 2 bots, or 1 player and 3 bots. All settings, statistics, replays are saved separately for Local Game and Network Game.

Starting from version 2.0, strong AI based on neural networks is available. How strong is it? According to my estimation, this is somewhere around 6.8-7.0 stable dan (stable tenhou dan). A Training mode is available, when opponents' hands are visible and hints from the AI, which tile to discard, and whether or not to make a call. R Mahjong also keeps detailed statistics, taking into account literally all aspects of the game, including the percentage of yaku collected, winning and losing tiles and much more. A recalculated rating is also available. Statistics are kept for all players, including AI (except for the rating, which is fixed for AI). So you can compare your results with those of the AI to find statistically significant deviations in your games.

Replays can also be viewed.

I hope you enjoy R Mahjong.

A few screenshots:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:28 am

Welcome and thanks for sharing.

Looks good - I've always liked the idea of optional overlays of player aids.

Some people would not understand the exponential notation on small numbers though.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:54 am

The English version of D3's game compendium released in May/June for PS5/PS4 as THE Table Game Deluxe Pack.

It has two, three and four-player mahjong plus a dozen other tabletop games. The presentation and translations are basic but it has some rule options and several opponent difficulty settings. There are dozens of challenges and achievements for each game but these are basic too and grindy, based on winning matches and making each Yaku.

There are three variants of three-player rules - standard, Kansai and Kyoto.

Kansai uses north and flower bonus tiles. No Chii calls. Seven Pairs allows identical pairs. Continuances are worth 1000 pts. Scores are calculated in 1000s not 100s. Craks 2-8 are not used. A Craks half-flush is worth Yakuman. Nagashi 'Mangan' is worth Yakuman. Suu Renkou is a Yakuman. Big Three Winds is worth 2 Han. Counted Yakuman needs 14 Han.

Kyoto has no honour tiles - all honours-based Yaku/Yakuman are disallowed. No Chii calls. No round wind - hands are simply counted 1, 2, 3... up to 9. No Noten penalty. Reaching is required for a hand win so Tenhou/Chiihou/Renhou are also disallowed but you can reach with an open hand. Players start with 100 pts each. A hand win scores 1 pt for Riichi or 2 pts for Riichi with Menzen Tsumo, then that's multiplied by the total number of Han. Both losers pay that amount for a Tsumo win so you effectively get double. No dead wall - the Dora indicator is drawn from the live wall upon a hand win and all tiles matching the following number (any suit!) are Dora.

https://www.d3p.co.jp/simple_ps/02_tablegame/en/

It's 20% off for the next ten days in the Playstation Store's TGS sale. (e.g. 9.59ukp)