Akko de Pon (DS/Wii game)

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Akko de Pon (DS/Wii game)

Post by Barticle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:02 am

Hi all. I was just wondering if anyone out there in Reach Mahjong land had ever played a Japanese mahjong video-game called "Akko de Pon"?

Someone mentioned it to me a few months back but all I knew about it was that you have the option of playing with super-powers.

I've found an official webpage for the game in English - it seems that your abilities are actually based on real cheating techniques. They even list the genre of the game as Ikasama Mahjong - "cheating mahjong"! :lol:

The other USP of the game is that the characters are voiced by Japanese celebrities.

Check the link for screenshots...

http://www.success-corp.co.jp/english/software/ds/akko/
Use dirty tactics to win the match! "Bukko Nuki" "Tsubame Gaeshi" "Elevator" "Gun Tiles" and others come right out of the comic books for you to use at your whim! Experience a game of Mahjong like no other,with an all-new system. Of course,there\'s always the option to play a straight game of Mahjong, but where's the fun in that?
(controversial bit at the end!)

I've already ordered my first DS mahjong game (Superlite 2500 Custom Mahjong made by the same people - see below) but I'll add Akko to my shopping list.

http://www.success-corp.co.jp/english/s ... tom_majan/
Last edited by Barticle on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:Akko de Pon (DS/Wii game)

Post by Benjamin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:36 am

It\'s a fun game but loses it\'s novelty quickly. The tetsu series for PS2 is better imo.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:Akko de Pon (DS/Wii game)

Post by Barticle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:25 pm

I see! I'll move it down the shopping list a little. I'm keen to learn about the cheating techs though - from a purely academic viewpoint you understand! :wink:

I know there's a ton of MJ games for the PS2 but they'd be region-locked. The PS3 is region-free but sadly it can't play locked PS2 games.

BTW It was great to meet you and Gemma last week. :) Hope you can stay a while longer next time.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Akko de Pon (DS/Wii game)

Post by Barticle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:12 pm

One year later and this game finally worked its way to the top of my shopping list! I've just started playing the DS version. (NB the Wii version would probably be region-locked)

Due to the way the cheating is incorporated, the game shows the full process of play (including shuffling, dice rolling and the initial draw 4+4+4+1) and displays the full table (including the entire wall) on the touchscreen. This makes it the most complete simulation of mahjong I've seen, although it also makes it the slowest!

I think you have to unlock them in story mode so I can't use any cheats yet. The manual lists 25 different techniques though and over 70 variations in total! :shock:

If you spot one of your cartoon celebrity opponents cheating you can tap the touchscreen to catch them - they pay a chombo fine (reverse mangan, 8k or 12k) and the hand is replayed. You have to be careful with this though. Firstly if you tap the screen and they weren't actually cheating then you pay chombo. Secondly you have to watch the scores because if the same player cheats repeatedly and neither you or the cheater are east you can end up busting the cheater and (since chombo is paid 2/2/4) giving east first place!

Have started writing a guide. Will let y'all know when it's available. 8)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:33 pm

A little Bukko Nuki goes a long way... ;)
akko-daisangen.jpg
akko-daisangen.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
If I'd drawn the 6 instead would still have given a baiman.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:00 am

I've got eighteen cheat techs unlocked now and already it's starting to get difficult to keep track of them all!

I've been trying to pull-off the infamous Tsubame Gaeshi (building a 13- or 14-tile hand into your wall and then swapping it out) but it's far from trivial. First you need to pick the tiles you want from a crowded animated shuffle display against a time-limit, then you require a dice roll that breaks the wall in such a way that your wall is left intact (if you're east you can influence the dice), and then you need to make the switch without getting caught. Oh and since it's hard to load a complete hand, you need to complete it before another player declares a win.

Finally got a nice double yakuman out of it though. :D Kinda feels like I've earned it!
akko-double.jpg
akko-double.jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 11800 times

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:55 am

The screenshots are awesome.

Tetsuya would be proud.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:20 pm

My Akko de Pon guide is now complete and available on GameFAQs from the link in my sig. :D

It took about thirty pages to explain all the cheating techniques which makes it a pretty comprehensive guide to mahjong cheating generally!
xKime wrote:Tetsuya would be proud.
Thanks! I dedicate the Tsubame Gaeshi to Bōshū. :)

Will see if I can get a Rising Sun as a tribute to Koizumi also!

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:52 pm

It would be very funny if an Akko de Pon came in "Koizumi" style, where you must like, push the tiles in a certain way into the machine to load your wall, or you must move at the speed of light when you do a tsubame gaeshi or otherwise you get shot.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:34 am

You'd have to rub the touchscreen really quickly to perform goumoupai. :D

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:06 am

If you don't control the level of friction with the uranium tiles you'd get burnt. And so.

Also, the thing with putting three tiles into the wall and drawing 4.

As Mengele, you could set traps, and as Koizumi, dodge them.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:02 pm

I got it! :D It's really difficult to load all the tiles for the thirteen-sided kokushi wait. I can usually get eleven, but then you can switch tiles with your partner or steal discards off the table.

With this one I got eleven and luckily my partner had both the 1's I needed. I was playing west so I had time to make the switches before my first turn. By then I was tenpai with the mighty thirteen-sided wait so there was a pretty good chance of drawing my winner. My very first draw was haku, stacking chiihou to give a triple yakuman. :lol:
akko-13sided.jpg
akko-13sided.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 11741 times
Too bad my winner wasn't 1p though!

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Lol epic win.

Your partner is a really smart AI.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:21 pm

xKime wrote:Lol epic win.
Literally, yes. :)

Final scores: +121,000 / +1000 / +1000 / -23,000

Almost busted all of them...
Your partner is a really smart AI.
I wish! When you activate that cheat you're shown your partner's hand and you choose the tile you want.