Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

ryulusus
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by ryulusus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:10 am

Hi

Can you imagine the possibilities of the Android platform for the Mahjong Variants,
plus the new Android Tablets coming up? :o

Well, I like Mahjong and Friends because it gives you a clear distinction between MCR(-like ;) ) and Riichi MJ.
Besides, since in VTH the characters actually have star ratings you can choose your level (DONT CHOSE THE KITTY!).

There is a reasonable level of cheatingbastness (I used to make UATs for games and this is a common term),
but NOTHING compared to the gamedesign's PC game.

I really like the possibilities in android. :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:41 pm

Another quick update - since the last one, I've written full guides for another three Nintendo DS games:

o Akko de Pon
o Simple DS Series Vol. 1 The Mahjong
o Mahjong Taikai

I have guides available on GameFAQs now for eight DS mahjong titles. 8)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Make that nine - my guide for Nintendo's own Yakuman DS game is now available.

It has some interesting training features like being able to undo/rewind a game or play with all hands displayed, plus advice on which tile to discard and quite sophisticated analysis of your opponents' play. It also has 35 rule settings in total, including the option to allow Chombo fouls for invalid Tsumo and Riichi.

Most of the objectives in challenge mode are fairly straightforward but in one stage you have to come 1st overall across two games played with a time limit... and with your hand displayed in totally random order. That was fun! :?

Moah
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Re:Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Moah » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 am

Esh wrote:I\'d like to say a few things for the iPhone apps.

Mahjong Mobile is terrible. As the review on the site claims, it does in fact crash VERY often. I can get maybe one and a half hands in before it crashes. LESS if I mess with the options. It makes the app virtually unplayable.
Mahjong Mobile's had a lot of work, and many updates. It's now very stable, and plays well enough against my beginner self. I really like it, and I think you guys should give it another try.

Also, Bart, could you add a PC list of games? All I know of is Ron2 for online play, and old games for solo play.

Finally, what are the best option for PS3 and PSP respectively?

Thanks,

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks for the info - I've amended my listing.

I must confess I don’t play on PC and don't know much about it. Most English "mahjong" computer games seem to be tile-matching solitaire ones with the notable exceptions being Four Winds which offers a wide range of configurable rule-sets and this nice free Flash game. For online play with Japanese rules (and text) I guess the obvious sites are Tenhou, Janryūmon and the JPML's Ron2.I'm sure other posters could give you more info, either here or in a new thread.

All three retail (non-download) games for the PS3 have their merits. Mahjong Fight Club is a quality title with the best range of options and stats. Mahjong Taikai IV has a nice table display and historical characters for opponents. If you want to play online then go with Janline-R. Look over my guides to get an idea of the options and modes available in each. Mahjong Dream Club is released next week and will include online play (worldwide access TBC), authentic 3D table view and cheat functions.

I don’t own a PSP but MFC has to be a safe bet again. The Saki game should be a lot of fun too if you're familiar with the anime plus it has a solid 4-star rating on Amazon Japan and there's an English guide for it on GameFAQs. If I had a PSP those are the first two I'd pick up. I'd say the screen layout is a key factor on a portable device so check the links in this thread for screenshots.

EDIT: I just noticed that Saki Portable for the PSP (originally released in 2010) was reissued just yesterday! It's a "Best" budget release - half the price of the original and even cheaper as a download - with new bikini cover art.

Moah
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Moah » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Barticle wrote:Android devices

Mahjong and Friends
- uses quasi-MCR rule-set with 81 yaku and configurable 0/2/4/6/8 minimum win
- English language
- statistical log
- some scoring issues?
- priced HK$22.16 (free trial version also available)
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_game ... _rixo.html
I just noticed this, and I wanted to add that _Mahjong and Friends_ has a version for Riichi (I think it's called Mahjong and Friends Japanese). It seems a bit buggy sometimes (i once had five 9 of circles on screen), but it exists, and is english and even french (though I hate using pong, chow and kong instead of pon, chii and kan).

mrrrx
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by mrrrx » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 am

There's an android game called Maujong that I think is pretty decent. It's free, you can play against AIs, and if you close the process it'll leave your game where you last left off, so you can feel free to just play half a game one day and then the rest another day without leaving the app open the whole time. It's my favorite that I've tried on Android, but I haven't tried virtual tenhou yet.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .mj2&hl=en

There's also an online version of the game but it looks like you need to pay for it somehow. I haven't tried it.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks both, I've added 'Maujong' and 'Mahjong and Friends Japan'. I see there's also a 'Mahjong and Friends 16' offering HK/Taiwanese rules where you hold a hand of sixteen tiles.

Maybe one day I'll finally get a smartphone and actually be able to try all these games! :)

peterb
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by peterb » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Worth mentioning: Janryumon now has an app for iPad:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/janryumo ... 84565?mt=8

(other platforms as well, if i'm not mistaken -- http://www.janryumon.com/)

sasuraiger
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by sasuraiger » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 pm

http://itunes.apple.com/cn/app//id448114302?mt=8

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Mahjong Tengokuhai is probably the best client for iOS right now. It has a good interface, online play, 3p (online only), and it has a good variety of single-player stuff to do like a survival mode.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Wow, those both look great! Thanks.

I've added the iOS and Android versions of Mahjong Tengokuhai and the iPad, iOS, Android and Android trial versions of Janryumon.

Also welcome to the forums, Peter. :)

- Bart

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Re:Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by wavemotion » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Barticle wrote:Apple iOS Devices
I ended up seraching on the iTunes store for all Mahjong games (using a variety of terms and the more common Kanji/Kana like 麻雀 or 雀士 and similar). I had to pour through about 500 games - most of which were tile-matching. But there were still more than 50 true Mahjong games. I downloaded all the free/lite versions as well as got all the 99c versions to try them out. In the end:
Barticle wrote:Janryumon for iPad
- iPad version of the popular mahjong client
- nice 3D table view with hand animations and full wall
- recognises touchscreen gestures for chii/pon/kan etc
- small charge for online play
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/janryumo ... 84565?mt=8
Was the game that I found to be have the best overall experience and interface. I'm probably not qualified to judge the AI - but it seemed competent for us beginners. Just enough of it is in English that you can navigate easily if you're only familiar with basic Riichi Kanji/Kana. You can play offline for free and they seem to give you a little gp when you get low so you don't have to do much in the way of pay-to-play unless you're a more serious player who wants to get in lots of online games (though I don't know if the trickle-in gp is a one-time thing or ongoing ... I haven't played enough online yet to know if they keep that practice up). The native iPad app itself costs US$0.99 (apparently a discounted price for the next couple of months). I'd love to write a more formal review of the game but my wife, Jenn, seems to have fallen in love with the game. I guess that's good, all things considered!

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Barticle wrote:Thanks for the info - I've amended my listing.

I must confess I don’t play on PC and don't know much about it. Most English "mahjong" computer games seem to be tile-matching solitaire ones with the notable exceptions being Four Winds which offers a wide range of configurable rule-sets and this nice free Flash game. For online play with Japanese rules (and text) I guess the obvious sites are Tenhou, Janryūmon and the JPML's Ron2.I'm sure other posters could give you more info, either here or in a new thread.
The best PC Riichi Mahjong I've found so far is Saikyo no Mahjong 3D. There is an English patch (I have a feeling it is not official so I'll refrain from posting any links) which renders the whole thing in English except the awesome voices (which we wouldn't want changed anyway!). SnM3D runs natively under Windows - and perfectly on Linux (and presumably the Mac) with WINE. I keep my copy in my Dropbox folder so I can play it pretty much everywhere I go.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks for your report on the iOS market.

I hadn't encountered the English patch for Saikyō no Mājan so it didn't fall into either of the categories in my previous post. You gotta love any game that allows you to rotate the table for a sneaky peek at your opponents' hands. ;)

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:11 pm

You are forgetting about the best mahjong tool application I have downloaded for android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Full&hl=en (English)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Full&hl=ja (Japanese)

There are trial versions, but this really took our mahjong club into the 21st century!

And, thanks to me emailing susatthi-san a few days earlier, it is now region free.