Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Barticle » Fri May 07, 2010 6:58 pm

I just like to describe the required format for the yakuman that way, even though it\'s easier just to say 22334455667788p!

But yes, it still scores big even if Daisharin is disallowed. It\'s kinda cool that a Ryanpeikou flush in this format always gives Pinfu, regardless of the wait.

Add a couple more doubles and you\'ve got the thirteen for counted yakuman, as long as that\'s not disallowed in your game too!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Barticle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:25 pm

I've just added an asterisk to the Mukoubuchi DS game listing since my new guide for it is now up on GameFAQs (available from link in sig below).

Obviously it's intended to support people playing the game but you might be interested to read about some of the more exotic rules options included like Arisu and Binta.

My next guide will be for Janline-R on the PS3. I'll be getting my console online soon, ready to take on the world!?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:03 pm

I registered a PS3 account for the Japanese Playstation Network this afternoon.

I found a great illustrated English guide on how to do it ...afterwards. :roll:

http://forum.psnstores.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1157

Discovered some old PS1 mahjong games that are available for download there, so I've added them to the listings above. They're cheap but not free so I'll need to buy some store credit before I can get them. I understand you can buy Japanese PSN credit online from places like Play Asia - so that's my next stop. 8)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

I registered a new account with the Hong Kong PSN this evening. It's a lot easier to use - both the registration process and the online store are in English. You just have to state your country of residence as Hong Kong when you set up the account.

I found another nine vintage Japanese PS1 and PC Engine (TurboGrafx-16) games that are available for download from the Hong Kong store. :D

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:54 pm

My new guide for Janline-R is now available on GameFAQs. :D

If you have a PS3 then I'd recommend importing Janline-R for online play. You don't need a Japanese PSN account and there's no subscription fee to pay. The rule options and graphics are a little basic but there's a good userbase so there's always a few tables running.

Mahjong Fight Club and Mahjong Taikai IV remain the better options for offline play on the PS3 though.

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Good to know you wrote guide to it. I know some japanese but I'm sure it will be great help. I just bought JanlineR, MFC and MTK4 here in japan, and i'm looking forward to play them when I'm back. Hope to play with you there!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Cool, that's a nice haul. Those three should keep you busy for a while!

I've got full guides up on GameFAQs for all three games so hopefully they should cover most things, otherwise just ask and I'll help if I can.

MFC and MJTK IV are both good for offline play and Janline-R lets you play free online. It works fine here in the UK so hopefully it should be okay in Poland too. Send me a PSN friend invite when you get home. :)

There's a lot of MJ games available for download too. I'm actually playing Simple 500 Series Vol 1 at the moment - like literally typing this message between matches. :) Although it's a PS3 game it's pretty basic (as you might expect from a budget series) however you can play online without subscription and there's a good range of rule options (twelve red threes anyone?). I just killed someone with a sweet baiman hand with six dora. Mwahahaha! ;) (playing with three red fives btw)

There are loads of old PS1 games to buy online too. I struck gold over the weekend when I found an index of mahjong games on the Famitsu website including a load of PSN downloads I hadn't found before. I've added them to the PS3/PSP lists in this thread. Found a few more iPhone titles there too.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 am

I've been quite busy on the translating/writing front this month. I've got three new Nintendo DS mahjong guides up on GameFAQs:

o 1500 DS Spirits Volume 1
o Simple DS Series Volume 44
o Mahjong Fight Club DS

Also I did quite a major update on the Janline guide.
sasuraiger wrote:MFC DS is still the best by a mile.
After playing several DS mahjong games now I must say I'm inclined to agree. Great stats, options and presentation; awesome replay function; free online play; interesting mission mode.

Big fan. 8)

ryulusus
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ryulusus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi

What, no ANDROID OS ones? :) I must get involved now.

Two free ones:

MAHJONG AND FRIENDS LITE
MCR, very good to learn the ways of the game.

VIRTUAL TENHO-G
RIICHI MAHJONG, Interesting version with manga characters.

Both are free and are great to have on the phone. :)
Can you review and give feedback (those who have not opted by the iPhone that is? :wink:

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:22 pm

That's a very good point, my friend! I'll add a new section. Thanks for the info. :) I'm always happy to receive updates here.

There seems to be a lot of mahjong solitaire :roll: but I've found a Hong Kong mahjong Android app already. I'll see what else is out there...

I still have a dumb phone (or whatever you call something that isn't a "smart phone")! No mahjong games on there, although there are a lot of mahjong game photos. 8)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:45 pm

I've added a new section for Android OS software in the same post as the iOS ones. I found lots!

This one looks kinda fun :lol: although it says it will be unavailable after 28 Feb 2011! (5 days from now)

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_game ... _ehev.html

Also this is intriguing... the title is Nippon Pro Mahjong Renmei Kounin Jannou Touryuumon, or JPML licensed mahjong-talent (?) "gateway to success"...?

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_game ... _szva.html

Torgo
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Torgo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Barticle wrote:There seems to be a lot of mahjong solitaire :roll: but I've found a Hong Kong mahjong Android app already. I'll see what else is out there...

I still have a dumb phone (or whatever you call something that isn't a "smart phone")! No mahjong games on there, although there are a lot of mahjong game photos. 8)
I've tried a few.
  • Mahjong and friends is like MCR, but isn't quite there: The discards are in one ordered space, and the scoring is three times as large as it should be, IIRC.
    Virtual Tenho-G is a very fun riichi style game. It's only missing sound.
    Andjong is an open-source riichi game, but is not a very good game to try just yet.
    World Series of Mahjong (lite and pro) is actually MCR rules, but has several scoring bugs.
And something that isn't a "smart phone" is a "feature phone." :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Good info, thanks!
Torgo wrote:And something that isn't a "smart phone" is a "feature phone." :)
I guess they'd find it hard to sell things called dumb phones. :)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Torgo wrote:World Series of Mahjong (lite and pro) is actually MCR rules, but has several scoring bugs.
What! a game called "World Series of Mahjong" don't use World Series of Mahjong rules?!?!
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Torgo
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Torgo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Shirluban wrote:What! a game called "World Series of Mahjong" don't use World Series of Mahjong rules?!?!
What a world, huh? A friend of mine bought the pro version believing the name. Perhaps the World Series of Mahjong legal team should look at enforcing their trademark, if they have one... or perhaps at collecting royalties... or making their own version. (I'd be happy to begin my Android application development with that effort, BTW.)