Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Barticle » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:07 pm

Barticle wrote:Previous titles Yakuza 4 and Yakuza: Dead Souls will be released as downloads this coming weekend.
Sony has announced today the games that will be available free to all Playstation Plus subscribers next month and the list includes Yakuza 4 (PS3)!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/01/ ... ue-legacy/

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/ ... ree-games/

This will introduce the series to a very wide audience which should in turn boost sales for Yakuza 5 (release date still TBC).

Hopefully one or two curious souls will take advantage of the English text interface and discover their lifelong passion for mahjong too. :)

chriss238
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by chriss238 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Found this app which can help you keep track of your chips during a mahjong game.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imahjon ... 04783?mt=8

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks. That looks quite oriented (NPI) towards Chinese rules and cash payments, although there is a Yen option at least.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:50 pm

So I was yesterday looking for mahjong games for Android and of course I found the known Mahjong Tengokuhai/麻雀 天極牌, Mahjong Fight Club Sp and Pro Mahjong Kiwame/プロ麻雀 極. This last one I don´t have it, but maybe someday I buy it. Looks cool.

I found too Mahjong Tenkafubu/麻雀天下布武, inspired on the sengoku historical period, and other games too.

But also I found two games:

Bakumatsu Mahjong/幕末麻雀, a game revolving around the the end of the samurai and Tokugawa shogunate period, a period called bakumatsu. You follow a story playing with Sakamoto Ryôma, one of the most famous samurai of this period.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... akumahjong

And Hyakuman Nin no Tame no Mahjong/100万人のための麻雀 this game comes from Unbalance, the ones who made Saikyo no 3D Mahjong for PC. This Android game does indeed look cooler. It has 24 players to play against, various rules to change (according to it´s description), and it has the option to play with all players´s tiles shown, to prove they don´t cheat, and also is a good way to study them. (If you use this mode, the program won´t keep the records of the game.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid.mj100

I´m wondering if those two games are good...
Last edited by Ignatius on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Barticle wrote:
Barticle wrote:Previous titles Yakuza 4 and Yakuza: Dead Souls will be released as downloads this coming weekend.
Sony has announced today the games that will be available free to all Playstation Plus subscribers next month and the list includes Yakuza 4 (PS3)!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/01/ ... ue-legacy/

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/ ... ree-games/

This will introduce the series to a very wide audience which should in turn boost sales for Yakuza 5 (release date still TBC).

Hopefully one or two curious souls will take advantage of the English text interface and discover their lifelong passion for mahjong too. :)
The only problem I see with the english interface of those games is the lack of a good explanation. It doesn´t even mention the types of furiten and other useful info.
But well, we´re here to help...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:09 am

Ignatius wrote:I´m wondering if those two games are good...
The game by UNBALANCE was one of the many games that I was experimenting with before I joined the forum. They had a free version (IOS) at the time, but it's gone now. I only played the game for a short while but I seem to remember a lot of japanese in the app (and naturally, I didn't have my favorite translator around at the time), but the main reason I abandoned it was that you couldn't play the game in horizontal mode and I needed a microscope to see the tiles. I ran across many decent mahjong games like that but having the largest tiles possible was important to me.
(Computer Mahjong by Kuusoukagaku Corp. was another decent game but was also only in vertical mode)
I'm sure you notice the difference with the Tengokuhai game which can be played both ways, horizontally, and vertically.
The Kiwame game is only horizontal mode and I find it to be the most enjoyable (due partly to your assistance).
I see they charge more than double the price on Google Play for the UNBALANCE game. ($4.56 vs $1.99)
phpEGqGMsPM.jpg
phpEGqGMsPM.jpg (15.04 KiB) Viewed 15278 times
phpXixEiIPM.jpg
phpXixEiIPM.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 15278 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:30 am

I see... I prefer to see the table horizontally, it´s convenient. the Unbalance game looks cool, but the tiles sure look small. I'll leave it as a potential buy (I wonder if what I said is correct). EDIT: Or2az corrected me, so this should be OK.

And the Athena game Pro Mahjong Kiwame is cheaper. As for now, I´m OK with the Tengokuhai game (it´s mainly an online game, free, and have more downloads than Mahjong Fight Club Sp). So I will keep playing only the Mahjong Tengokuhai Kiwame.
Last edited by Ignatius on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:57 am

First Riichi mahjong game I´ve seen on Steam: Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle.

Looks like it´s the only one. Out for sale since 2015, January, 22th.
It has a lot of girls to play with, with a good voice acting, some girls are really big busted, but, hey, there´s no nudity. At least that´s what as the description claims. So, cool, but looks kinda suggestive I´d say. Price: 15€ (don´t know how much is it in dollars). The game is in english and/or japanese. Voice acting only in japanese.
It has the numbers 1to 9 on normal tiles, and E-S-W-N, and the like on wind tiles, to help keep the track of tiles for beginners. From what I´ve seen on videos it can be deactivated.
It´s a 1 player game only. No online. Maybe they add it someday, who knows?

From the few comments from people who know how to play it, looks like the english translation is horrendous. But it´s playable.
Also most of the time you only see the mahjong table and not the girls. And looks like the game has no story at all.

It seems is not the best game out there. If the company improve it a bit, adding an Online Mode, for example, or an Story Mode, or both... It´s kinda pricey for what it has to offer (that´s what I understood from the comments).

The good point is that at last there is some real mahjong on Steam...

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:31 pm

As discussed with Ignatius separately, and watching the short video (see below), this game is the Mahjong Nagomi app game board. They replaced the original characters (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53260#p57245) with about 24 anime-like girls, (cute, well endowed, and clothed), most of which have to be unlocked, along with some voice animation, and inflated the price.
The game itself is not bad and is in english (not perfect) as well as japanese and is about 3 dollars in the app store and google play. There is also a 1-game-per-day free version (IOS).
So, if you can live without the girls, save some money. Here is some more rules information. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53180&start=45#p56928
The main thing I didn't like is that you have to move (swipe) the screen to see what your opponents have exposed (and I don't mean the girls) on the board. Very annoying.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5890,d.cGU

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Ignatius wrote:The only problem I see with the english interface of those games is the lack of a good explanation. It doesn´t even mention the types of furiten and other useful info.
Indeed! It is unfortunate that the same games that are noob-friendly by having English text are also opaque through lack of proper in-game instructions. :roll: My Yakuza 2 mahjong guide (my very first guide) has a section entitled "What They Didn't Tell You" which cross-references several sections below.

The demo for the new Yakuza prequel (RGG Zero) is released tomorrow on the Japanese PSN. I've had a sneak peek and I have to say the remodelled 80's city looks great. It's a shame to find the usual Akagi poster absent from inside the Kamuro mahjong parlour but since the manga began in 1992 they're correct to omit it!

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:32 pm

Barticle wrote:
Ignatius wrote:The only problem I see with the english interface of those games is the lack of a good explanation. It doesn´t even mention the types of furiten and other useful info.
Indeed! It is unfortunate that the same games that are noob-friendly by having English text are also opaque through lack of proper in-game instructions. :roll: My Yakuza 2 mahjong guide (my very first guide) has a section entitled "What They Didn't Tell You" which cross-references several sections below.

The demo for the new Yakuza prequel (RGG Zero) is released tomorrow on the Japanese PSN. I've had a sneak peek and I have to say the remodelled 80's city looks great. It's a shame to find the usual Akagi poster absent from inside the Kamuro mahjong parlour but since the manga began in 1992 they're correct to omit it!
Oh I will try that game, and if it´s the japanese demo, better!

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:37 pm

While we are on the topic of
girls to play with, voice acting, big busted, no nudity, and story mode,

here is a riichi mahjong game app that has all of the above and more for only 99 cents.
It has instructions, rules, 2 or 4-player modes, statistics, 2 levels of AI, web rankings, and your choice of 4 languages.
Unfortunately, this was another one of those games that I experimented with that I gave up on because it was only in vertical mode and the tiles were just too small. Too bad, the game was really "cute".
phpBx1VB8PM.jpg
phpBx1VB8PM.jpg (16.32 KiB) Viewed 15249 times
phpXpVmrjPM.jpg
phpXpVmrjPM.jpg (18.16 KiB) Viewed 15249 times
phpNasQiNPM.jpg
phpNasQiNPM.jpg (12.51 KiB) Viewed 15249 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Barticle wrote:

Tried the PS3 demo. I did read the explanation of how to play mahjong of Ryû ga gotoku 0/Yakuza 0, in japanese, and I see now what´s the problem with the english one. The problem is the japanese version lacks all that info too...

On a sidenote: it was hard for me to follow the story, too much hard kanji for me.
Last edited by Ignatius on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:54 pm

or2az wrote:While we are on the topic of
girls to play with, voice acting, big busted, no nudity, and story mode,

here is a riichi mahjong game app that has all of the above and more for only 99 cents.
It has instructions, rules, 2 or 4-player modes, statistics, 2 levels of AI, web rankings, and your choice of 4 languages.
Unfortunately, this was another one of those games that I experimented with that I gave up on because it was only in vertical mode and the tiles were just too small. Too bad, the game was really "cute".
phpBx1VB8PM.jpg
phpXpVmrjPM.jpg
phpNasQiNPM.jpg
Looks cute. In Android I can´t find this game, so probably it´s only for iOS...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:44 am

Ignatius wrote:Tried the PS3 demo. I did read the explanation of how to play mahjong of Ryû ga gotoku 0/Yakuza 0, in japanese, and I see now what´s the problem with the english one. The problem is the japanese version lacks all that info too...
Yes, it's not the translators at fault. I guess the developers assume that most people can play or can readily find guides, either that or they (devs) don't care too much.

I'm a bit disappointed to see the same basic mahjong minigame after experiencing the excellent one in the RGG PSP game.
On a sidenote: it was hard for me to follow the story, too much hard kanji for me.
Unlike some gamers, I tend to enjoy the setting, action and minigames more than the storytelling and characters so I'm fairly content just to push through the story (and the many random side-missions) without really knowing what's happening. I suspect the Japanese wiki for the game will have lots of info soon after release and you can usually pick out some sense from an auto-translation. I don't know if any of the usual guys are planning to make an English guide for this one - and if they did it would take a few weeks.

In some previous RGG games there was actually a function where you could view a text pop-up that explained certain kanji (in Japanese). I think that must've been in Kenzan and Ishin - the historic samurai spin-offs - so they were probably archaic kanji that even some Japanese players wouldn't know.