Gamedesign Translation Error

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Torgo
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Gamedesign Translation Error

Post by Torgo » Mon May 03, 2010 11:46 am

I was playing Gamedesign\'s Japanese mahjong and got four concealed triplets.

I was rather surprised when the score screen said I got four consecutive triplets, especially when that yaku isn\'t listed.

Unfortunately, I couldn\'t find a feedback or \"contact us\" link anywhere on their English pages. I seem to have deleted the screen capture before I thought of posting here. C\'est la vie.

Torgo
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Re:Gamedesign Translation Error

Post by Torgo » Mon May 03, 2010 2:32 pm

The screen capture was on another machine. Lookie here: Image

Torgo
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Torgo » Tue May 04, 2010 12:06 am

Oh yeah. Anyone care to guess why this hand ended the game, even though it was South2?

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 am

Most likely because you sent someone into the negatives (Dobon rule)

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Fat Dragon » Tue May 04, 2010 6:26 am

I think it\'s definitely a translation error. Instead of \"consecutive\" it should say \"concealed\". So you have \"four concealed pungs\".

The game ended because the dealer had only 8200 pts left and he has to pay 16000 pts for your yakuman. You sent him to the negatives, that\'s why the game ended.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue May 04, 2010 12:07 pm

Firstly, and most importantly, congrats on the yakuman! :woohoo: I must bump the Yakuman Club thread and see if we have any new members... B)

As FD says, this is just a simple translation error. An easy mistake to make if English isn\'t your first language. I notice that Suu Ankou is given as \"four consealed [sic] triplets\" in their listing so that\'s wrong too!

I don\'t like to be too critical of their work though as generally their game (and documentation) is excellent; in fact I learnt the Japanese yaku names from their guide.

Of course there is a yakuman called Suu Renkou awarded for four consecutive same-suit pungs (pon/kan calls allowed) but I think that\'s pretty uncommon in Japanese play now.

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Re: Gamedesign Translation Error

Post by b4k4ni04 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:19 pm

hmn, unrelated to the translation error, gamedesign.jp seems to have fallen off the face of the internet. .. ".co.jp" still exists, but all their flash games are on ".jp" T__T. And i suddenly had a craving for mahjong against pathetic AI's. buu... T__T.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4