Video Mahjong Cheat Sheet

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Video Mahjong Cheat Sheet

Post by wavemotion » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Here is a one-page cheat/summary sheet for Video Mahjong games that I used to help remember the tiles, wind order, scoring stick values and - most importantly - some of the more basic Yaku to achieve when you are first learning to play. It is not comprehensive - it is meant to be a one-page reference you can print out and leave propped up against your monitor to help remember the more simple ways to go out and the important kana that you will encounter when playing. I hope it is of some value to others.

Edit: A 2nd page cheat sheet with the full Yaku list and the scoring tables can be downloaded here.
Last edited by wavemotion on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shirluban

Re: Video Mahjong Cheat Sheet

Post by Shirluban » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:34 pm

It's nice, but you made an unforgivable mistake.
The yaku having a different value when open or closed, always worth more with a close hand.

And "four pon and a pair" worth 2 han, disregarding if the hand is open or closed.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Nice. This is even better than what I came up with. :lol:

Having a cheat sheet crammed to one side allows a full scoring table to be included on the backside. Finally, highly suggest learning the yaku in Japanese -- and refer to them as the "names" of the yaku. Possible to do, despite not knowing much Japanese to begin with.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Shirluban wrote:It's nice, but you made an unforgivable mistake.
The yaku having a different value when open or closed, always worth more with a close hand.

And "four pon and a pair" worth 2 han, disregarding if the hand is open or closed.
Mea Culpa! I'll get that corrected now and up-upload to the same location. Done. Better?

-Dave

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Kyuu wrote:Having a cheat sheet crammed to one side allows a full scoring table to be included on the backside. Finally, highly suggest learning the yaku in Japanese -- and refer to them as the "names" of the yaku. Possible to do, despite not knowing much Japanese to begin with.
Originally this sheet had 2 sides - with a more complete Yaku listing (with japanese names and their kana/kanji) and full scoring tables taking up the entire back-side. I got tired of flipping in the middle of fast video play - so copied the more common "starter" Yaku to the front (and screwed up the open/closed columns which are now fixed). In the end, it is for beginners to allow them a quick glance at what they might need to go out - the computer will, otherwise, handle the scoring. It's definitely not a sheet for more experienced players - just struggling ones like me who need to evaluate as fast as they can and come up with a plan that might satisfy the one-Yaku requirement to go out. :D

Dave

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:08 pm

wavemotion wrote:Mea Culpa! I'll get that corrected now and up-upload to the same location. Done. Better?
Almost \o/
You may want to review the scoring of the first two yaku.

On an unrelated note, you should be able to setup a signature now. In case you would like to have "-Dave" at the end of your posts without typing it every time. :wink:
Edit: I've even re-allowed "Newly registered users" to have a signature. With only one spammer in almost one year, the restriction is not really useful.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:00 pm

wavemotion wrote:It's definitely not a sheet for more experienced players - just struggling ones like me who need to evaluate as fast as they can and come up with a plan that might satisfy the one-Yaku requirement to go out. :D
Aye. I've been going around anime conventions, looking to teach people the game. Per my observation, people quickly grasp the idea of completing a mahjong hand. And indeed, it is that 1-yaku requirement that always trips people out.

Either way, suddenly, I have to re-organize mine, as it is made to resemble a single foldable pamphlet. :lol:

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Shirluban wrote:
wavemotion wrote:Mea Culpa! I'll get that corrected now and up-upload to the same location. Done. Better?
Almost \o/
You may want to review the scoring of the first two yaku.
:oops: Corrected.

I'll try my new signature! I feel more important already :D

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Kyuu wrote:Finally, highly suggest learning the yaku in Japanese -- and refer to them as the "names" of the yaku.
I revised the sheet to include the Japanese name and the Kanji/Kana. Hopefully it is correct. The goal of keeping it to one page is getting harder :)

If anyone wants the original .doc (Word97 and up) file for this to edit, just shoot me a PM.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 pm

I've added a 2nd page to my cheat sheet which can be downloaded here. It's a more comprehensive Yaku list along with the full scoring tables. I print out both pages and laminate/bind them back-to-back and keep them near my computer.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:49 pm

In the first sheet there are problems with points sticks...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Ignatius wrote:In the first sheet there are problems with points sticks...
Corrected! Thanks. Though I don't think my font has a real 10k stick image (the one it has appears different than the 10k stick image in Bart's Mahjong Guide 1.02). Hmm...

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Oh and I´ve seen another error. Your sheet says Concealed out 30 points. Should be "Out Concealed Hand with Ron" 30 points or something like that...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Ignatius wrote:Oh and I´ve seen another error. Your sheet says Concealed out 30 points. Should be "Out Concealed Hand with Ron" 30 points or something like that...
Good catch. I've updated to v2.8.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Good work, Dave. I just had a quick look over page 2 while eating and have a few comments. Hopefully will have time for a more thorough inspection in future.

The "ou" in Kaihou* and the "ō" in Hōtei are two different ways of showing the same thing - a long "Oh" sound. For consistency you should only use one or the other. The same applies with E's and U's. The mismatch is most evident in "Iipeikou" and "Ryanpēkō" (which are essentially "one pēkō" and "two pēkō"). If you want to follow the example of my PDF guide I consistently use the macrons (overscores) although I'll mention the other form where it's more familiar ("iipēkō" does look weird!) and, as you can see there, I do personally favour "ii" over "ī" for a long I sound. So I guess I mix 'n' match too, but at least I do it consistently! :wink:

The term "limit hand" is a slippery one. It's often used in English texts to refer only to the *top* limit hands (yakuman) since most other rule-sets don't have other/multiple limits.

Hōtei and "San~dōkō" both have a stray hyphen or something in front of the kanji spelling, and I assume "San~dōkō" is a deliberate contraction?

The mix of languages in Pon, Chi and Quad is inconsistent. Pon and Chii are spoken calls, the sets are actually called kōtsu and shuntsu respectively in Japanese. I use the English/Chinese terms pung and chow - I know some folks hate that :) but they're widely recognised. A quad set is made with a Kan call, known as a kantsu in Japanese or a kong in English/Chinese. For learners you might want to go with clear English words exclusively like sequence/run, triplet and quad.

Do you have two different fonts on your kanji? It looks a bit odd.

"Payments [...] is divided" -> "are divided".

Junchan: "Terminal in each set + Terminal CHI" -> "+ terminal pair"

The conditions for pinfu are more complex, but hard to fit into a small space!

San Renkō is an optional yaku, although one of the more common.

*You have Rinchan instead of Rinshan here too.