Why don't they riichi?

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Why don't they riichi?

Post by or2az » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:03 am

I have noticed that in one of the games I play which has a multitude of computer opponents to chose from, that some of them will always win their concealed hands by ron or tsumo (quite regularly, I might add), but they will never riichi, and I mean never!
They get the usual assortment; pinfu, iipeiko, CSD, honitsu, seven pairs, straights, etc, etc, but never riichi.
Naturally, they also win with open hands; tanyao, toi-toi, flushes, etc, etc.
I find it hard to believe that there is some sort of strategy to this style of play, (after all, the game is called Riichi Mahjong), but I could be wrong.
The only other thing I can think of is that they are programmed this way to make all of them different in some respects with certain strengths and weaknesses, thus adding some variety to the game for human players of various skill levels, although never hitting the riichi button seems a bit drastic. What do you think?

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Why don't they riichi?

Post by Ozball » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:42 am

Is it a game that bases cpu opponents off of real people?
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Not exactly sure what you mean. Are you referring to "actual" people (like me and you) or just people in general, that probably don't exist, like kousuke, ayaka, kazuya, meirin, and bob. And how would I know?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 12436 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:06 pm

I bet some mahjong pros just do not go Riichi, and like to play mostly damaten. Probably that´s why Ozball asked that question. In the game Saikyo Mahjong 3D, for example, each character has it own playing style. A few of them seldom declares Riichi. The playing style of each character can be changed through options.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

jespernohr
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by jespernohr » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Real people know when to riichi and when not to riichi. It all depends on value, position, what's the score etc.

CPUs are based on rules. Know the rules and you will know exactly how they play ;)

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Ignatius wrote:I bet some mahjong pros just do not go Riichi, and like to play mostly damaten. Probably that´s why Ozball asked that question. In the game Saikyo Mahjong 3D, for example, each character has it own playing style. A few of them seldom declares Riichi. The playing style of each character can be changed through options.
This. MFC also has Pro CPUs, though I don't know how closely they are based off their real life counterparts.
jespernohr wrote:Real people know when to riichi and when not to riichi. It all depends on value, position, what's the score etc.

CPUs are based on rules. Know the rules and you will know exactly how they play ;)
The answer to your question or2az is basically this (and what you said in your OP). They're programmed to never reach, so as to give the human player a different experience. Also different / non-standard styles of play can really throw people off their game (See the whole Horiuchi debacle from last year) so it also adds an extra challenge and means you need to be pretty good at being able to read when your opponent is in tenpai if they are always going to be damaten.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:12 pm

When I played with computer(Super Real Mahjong series) over 20 years ago, The strip mahjong was majority. There were nothing pure mahjong game like MFC or MJ in the arcade.

There was no doubt. That computer was really strong :D
I spent much coins to see "something"

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 pm

or2az wrote:I have noticed that in one of the games I play which has a multitude of computer opponents to chose from, that some of them will always win their concealed hands by ron or tsumo, but they will never riichi, and I mean never!
I find it hard to believe that there is some sort of strategy to this style of play, but I could be wrong.
Well, I guess I was wrong. There is a strategy to not calling riichi.
After doing a lot of reading on damaten, I found this in Osamuko's blog, which sums it up quite nicely.

"Riichi is an announcement to the whole table that you are Tenpai. It tells everyone that you are a threat and they should take immediate action to defend. If they do, you’ll be winning a whole lot less because everyone is throwing safe tiles at you. However, if there are people who attack recklessly right up to the point where you Riichi, you can use Dama-ten to prevent them from going into defensive mode. This way they’ll keep discarding dangerous tiles and you’ll have a much better chance of getting your winning tile from one of them."

This is what THEY are trying to do to ME. Since I am one of those people who attack right up to the point where someone calls riichi, and then go into defensive mode, they are using damaten to keep me discarding dangerous tiles so they will have a much better chance of winning on one of them. OH, THOSE SNEAKY COMPUTER ROBOTS!

I also found this on the blog;
"If you have a really high-value hand, Dama-ten can be important. You absolutely do NOT want to give away that you are shooting for a monster hand, or opponents will do anything they can to stop you!
If you decide to Dama-ten but tsumokiri everything after that, opponents might get an idea of what you are up to. (Tsumokiri means discarding the tile you just drew.) Make sure you don’t tsumokiri every turn or your cover will be blown!"

My question is, if you don't tsumokiri every turn, how do you maintain your high-value hand?

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 pm

One possibility is discarding a tile from your hand when you draw a duplicate.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:10 am

There is strategy for not declaring Reach, but to NEVER declaring Reach is still extreme. There are times when I personally don't reach (Eg usually hands at Haneman or above that already have a yaku) and the rule set you're playing with will pay a part as well. Eg JPML A rules don't have ippatsu and Ura-Dora so the value of reaching is a lot lower as you'll only ever get 1 han out of it.

Looking for someone tsumogiriing every turn is one way to judge if they are in tenpai or not. The only way to not send this signal is as referee said, if you draw a duplicate of something already in your hand then you can discard the one from your hand to make it look like you're changing things.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Ozball wrote:if you draw a duplicate of something already in your hand then you can discard the one from your hand to make it look like you're changing things.
This behavior is called "Kara-giri".(and Discarding from hands -> "Tedashi", Tsumo-giri -> already mentioned)