Maujon: How is this Furiten?

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

NotBlaine
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Maujon: How is this Furiten?

Post by NotBlaine » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:14 pm

I've been lurking the forums, but haven't had any reason to post.

I was playing Maujong on my phone yesterday, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I was in furiten.

West just discarded the 9 pin. When I went to ron, it said I was in furiten. I thought I understood the furiten rule, but apparently I don't.

Can someone please explain this to me? My understanding was I couldn't ron off of a tile that I had already discarded.

Thank you,
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-09-11-08-20-16[1]_opt.png
Screenshot_2015-09-11-08-20-16[1]_opt.png (217.96 KiB) Viewed 6824 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: Maujon: How is this Furiten?

Post by Ignatius » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:48 pm

There are three types of Furiten.

Furiten: Any of your discarded tiles cannot be claimed to win. Just one tile discarded in your discard pool that you may potentially claim to win (even if that tile would give you no Yaku to allow you to really win), and all your hand is affected. So to get out of furiten one should change their waiting shape.

Temporary Furiten: If you do not claim a tile that would complete 4 sets an a pair, or Chiitoitsu/7 pairs or Kokushi Musô/13 Orphans shapes (even if you do not have yaku), you'll be in temporary furiten until it's your turn again. A turn that may come faster if you claim tiles to do sets, for example.

After Riichi/Reach Furiten: If you do not claim the first tile that will complete a hand, even if it's a tile you don't want, you'll enter in furiten until you win by tsumo, other player wins that hand, or the hand in play ends in a draw.

Having this in mind, you could have claimed South 3 Pin/Dots, South 10th discard. You did Riichi on the 8th turn.
Last edited by Ignatius on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:58 pm

South threw 3p post-riichi. So it's a furiten issue, not the more complicated atozuke thing.

3p thrown : Hand worth 1300. "eew".
Later...
9p thrown : Oh boy, I can score 5200... or not. You're in permanent furiten the moment the 3p slipped by.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:01 pm

Exactly.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

NotBlaine
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by NotBlaine » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Thank you both very much. That makes perfect sense.