Caught Up!

Jenn and Garthe on the internet-airwaves!

Moderator: Shirluban

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Caught Up!

Post by wavemotion » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Okay, I've just finished listening to all 58 Jongcasts. Absolutely fantastic work - I'm sorry to see it have a bit of podfade (I think one podcast in 8 months probably qualifies) but I realize life and time are at a premium for all of us so this is understandable. Anyway, here are some observations and all are IMHO:

:!: Jenn's personality is kick-ass.
:!: Garth(e) seems to have 4 years of perennial semi-hoarseness in his voice. Is the smog that bad in Tokyo or maybe the 2nd hand smoke in the parlors?
:!: The strategy segments are the absolute best part of the casts - tons of great info there.
:!: The side stories about travel or where little snippets of Japanese life and Japanese words/culture are revealed are the second best parts of the casts.
:!: The league status is interesting but maybe could be a little shorter since most listeners, presumably, don't know most of those people and since podcasts are preserved for future listeners, most of those events will have come and gone long before we get a chance to listen.
:!: The Garth(e)-bad-beat stories and knocking "lesser" players for playing "bad" (but winning) are the worst part of the casts.
:!: Having one of the Japanese Pros on for an interview (assuming they can speak some English) would be absolute killer.

Overall the Jongcasts are highly recommended - I'll be listening to them a 2nd time now that I have more knowledge under my belt. I hope to see a return of our dynamic-duo in the future!

Shirluban

Re: Caught Up!

Post by Shirluban » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:55 pm

It's Garthe, with an 'e'.

Now you have to read all the columns! :twisted:
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Caught Up!

Post by xKime » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Shirluban wrote:It's Garthe, with an 'e'.

Now you have to read all the columns! :twisted:
I know I have done both!

--

Don't you love it when Garthe is playing with something (pen, paper, chair, whatever) and Jenn tells him to "stop doing that!"? Many fun personal facts are released, too.

Garth(e) as you call him is the kind of man who says he will call you, but disappears the next day. D: