New Episode #59 10-Oct-2012 is up!

Jenn and Garthe on the internet-airwaves!

Moderator: Shirluban

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

New Episode #59 10-Oct-2012 is up!

Post by wavemotion » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Without fanfare... the 2nd episode of 2012 has dropped. The link on the front page is wrong (it goes to the English RM shop instead) and even if you manage to get to Jongcasts Sub-Page the link for the new #59 episode points to the older #58 episode. But with a little digging I managed to direct download the new show here:

http://reachmahjong.com/home/podcasts/jong-cast-59.mp3

I suspect it will show on iTunes today.

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Episode #59 10-Oct-2012 is up!

Post by gemma » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Thank you very much! I'll try and check the links but I'm the first to admit, website fixing is not my strongest suit.

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gemma » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Right the widget *should* be working now...

mrrrx
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by mrrrx » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:52 pm

#60 17-Oct-2012 is up.

Glad the podcasts are back, gives me something to listen to at work. Heard something about a Ron^2 meetup in there, which would be fun, I'd make an account for that (Maybe I have one but I don't remember the details..). Though, if Jenn/Garthe have issues with being allowed to play in the free room, could maybe also consider using tenhou instead?

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:10 pm

mrrrx wrote:#60 17-Oct-2012 is up.

Glad the podcasts are back, gives me something to listen to at work. Heard something about a Ron^2 meetup in there, which would be fun, I'd make an account for that (Maybe I have one but I don't remember the details..). Though, if Jenn/Garthe have issues with being allowed to play in the free room, could maybe also consider using tenhou instead?
I remember hearing something on one of the Jong Casts about an issue with Tenhou (though I don't remember the specifics) and, hence, the choice to go with Ron^2. I can't easily access Ron^2 given my choice of platforms to run my machines on - so I'm definitely a Tenhou addict (where I can run it virtually anywhere). But just having meet-ups (even if I can't participate) would still be very cool.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:16 pm

mrrrx wrote:if Jenn/Garthe have issues with being allowed to play in the free room, could maybe also consider using tenhou instead?
The thing is that Ron² belongs to the JPML, so JPML pro players like Jenn and Garthe are supposed to play online only on Ron² to ensure customers will join (and pay) to play with the pro.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

mrrrx
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by mrrrx » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:22 pm

wavemotion wrote: I can't easily access Ron^2 given my choice of platforms to run my machines on
I thought Ron^2 was written in Java. Isn't the whole point of Java that it runs on all platforms? Not that I doubt they could find a way to make it not work on whatever you use.
Shirluban wrote:The thing is that Ron² belongs to the JPML
Ahh, didn't know that. Well, I hope they figure something out if they can. I'd consider paying for it if it was inexpensive and accepts my money.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm

mrrrx wrote:
wavemotion wrote: I can't easily access Ron^2 given my choice of platforms to run my machines on
I thought Ron^2 was written in Java. Isn't the whole point of Java that it runs on all platforms? Not that I doubt they could find a way to make it not work on whatever you use.
I tried loading it in Firefox for Linux and it didn't load right... but maybe I did something wrong. I'll give it another try. I sailed right into playing on Tenhou with no fuss so I never bothered to try and work out the problem.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:06 pm

As an aside, I've noticed that neither new episode (#59 nor #60) have shown in my iTunes feed yet. I can get them from the front page. Maybe it's just me.

Also, for Ep #60 the audio seems to be a little distorted. There is a hum I'm hearing for the first time and the 'P's are causing a bit of a pop as if the mic gain is set too high. In #59 Jenn seemed fine and Garth seemed a little softer.

mrrrx
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by mrrrx » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 pm

This week's podcast was interesting.
http://reachmahjong.com/home/podcasts/jong-cast-61.mp3
I liked hearing about the fellow (was it horiuchi? Google points me towards maybe 堀内正人 as his full name or is that another mahjong playing horiuchi?) who wins tournaments but plays by calling tiles even in some situations where he doesn't have a valid yaku. I only know that as the classic newbie move that frustrates people who are first learning how to play. I never considered that people would actually do that to bluff their opponents into folding (or cheapening their hands?) at a high level. I'd like to see that in practice.

Also does anyone know the niconico link for the broadcast where Jenn/Garthe supposedly will be playing on Saturday? I found their RM.com japanese show timeslot on Jenn's twitter ( http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv112897456 ) but I think they also mentioned a different show on Saturday but I can't find the details.