Discuss this week\'s question here!

Live
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:What Would You Discard August 1st

Post by Live » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:00 am

*Danger, beginners thoughts are really scary. Read at your own risk.*

Initial hand:
1-crak 1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 5-crak 5-crak 8-crak 9-crak 4-bam 6-bam 2-dot 3-dot white-dra white-dra

Dora: 9-crak

Well, we have at least one dora. With enough luck you could discard 1-crak 5-crak 4-bam 6-bam
getting 4-crak 6-crak 7-crak and obtaining

1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 7-crak 8-crak 9-crak 2-dot 3-dot white-dra white-dra
while menzen and riichi.

Winning on a 1-dot 4-dot will get riichi, itsuu, dora. Getting luckier even a tsumo/ippatsu tsumo.
Assuming we get a third white dragon instead (menzen, again) we can wait on either a pair of 1-dot or 4-dot, getting another han out of this hand.

Let\'s try something different.
A starting pon on a third white dragon will get you this:

1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 5-crak 5-crak 8-crak 9-crak 4-bam 6-bam 2-dot 3-dot ------ white-dra white-dra white-dra
assuming to have discarded one 1-crak
Now we\'d have to discard another tile: the only pair is the 5-crak one, and we will need to break a wait.
The most difficult one (statistically speaking) is the 4-bam 6-bam, so the choice would fall on one of them.
The resulting hand, discarding the 6-bam:

1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 5-crak 5-crak 8-crak 9-crak 4-bam 2-dot 3-dot ------ white-dra white-dra white-dra

It\'s not a bad wait, because getting a 7-crak and discarding the unuseful 4 bam will get you a tempai on
1-dot 4-dot:

1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 5-crak 5-crak 7-crak 8-crak 9-crak 2-dot 3-dot ------ white-dra white-dra white-dra

Surely easier and more realistic than the Itsuu one: you\'ll need only three tiles to win, instead of four.
This hand will get you only a few points though: 1han out of the white dragon pon and one for the dora, nothing more. (Unless i\'m forgetting/i don\'t know something, which could be easily true)
I can\'t think anything else now. So my answer to the first question is: i\'d discard the 1-crak.
Again, i\'m really a beginner: any comment to this post is really welcome. I want to improve :)

July
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by July » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:01 am

Haku, honitsu, one dora- mangan. You can call tiles to your heart\'s content as well.

So I would cut the 4b here if this was the first discard...

Beware the talking cat
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Beware the talking cat » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Hm. I\'d have to go with the 1-man. We already have the pair as either the 5-man or the hakus, so the extra pair does almost nothing for us.

If the 7-man comes first, we\'re golden, and if the the 5-sou, 5-man, 1-pin, or 4-pin comes up, we could then toss the 8-man, then 9-man(supposing we don\'t pair the 9-man)

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 am

I agree with July. Discard the bams and call tiles for a honitsu-haku-dora. Should be an easy mangan.

Only way I might consider a different approach is if the player on my left isn\'t throwing any man tiles at all.

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:51 pm

I would go for the Nine Gates, keeping the dragons and characters.

Johnstonjamese
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Johnstonjamese » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 am

Honitsu - haku - dora 2. Id cut the bams and wait on the haku. I wouldn\'t call anything before calling the haku though most likely.