handling of tiles

The place for video, sites, games replay, books, ...

Moderator: Shirluban

fjarkenarken
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

handling of tiles

Post by fjarkenarken » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:12 pm

anyone know of any videos explaining how to handle tiles? would be interesting to know different way to stack, sort, drawing and any neat little tricks.

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:handling of tiles

Post by hirohurl » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Okay, here are a couple to start us off...

1. Turning over the mekuripai (and the rest of the wall, sort of):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju4jEX9xlns

2. How to build a wall with good style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XShAJNwSyRU

Now we get into a few tricks and deeply bad techniques.

3 & 4. How to replace your whole hand with tiles you loaded on the bottom of your wall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI4WU4kW9mc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76K2ie1K ... re=related

I first came across that trick in the Tetsuya Mahjong Tensai manga series. Here are some beautifully produced Japanese videos of Tetsuya learning some more tricks. Even if you can\'t understand Japanese, watch and enjoy!

5. Tetsuya discovers tile placement and replacement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH3HaA_2lfU

6. Tetsuya discovers the \"escalator\"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aunN9WSw1d4

If I had a comic hero, it would be Tetsuya.

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:45 pm

What happens if someone screams that there are fewer than 136 tiles visible?

iandstanley
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by iandstanley » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:13 pm

However, practising flipping over all your tiles together (by neatly arranging each tile perfectly in the row) will stop you looking stupid when you draw that menzen tsumo completing tile and flip over your bamboo tiles to have them scatter!

Times like that when you are hoping to look the skillful player by making that really haneman or better hand somewhat just seems like you are just the luckiest incompetant beginner when your tiles explode.

Sometimes I prefer the all plastic tiles being easier to square up if you haven\'t got a plastic straightener or aren\'t playing on a proper mahjong table.

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:31 pm

Robert wrote:What happens if someone screams that there are fewer than 136 tiles visible?
That depends. Do all the people in the room understand English? ARE there people in the room? If so, and they understand English, are they all insane?

I guess my point is -- what\'s the point of your question? Are you trying to find out what should happen if it\'s discovered that there are fewer than 136, or is the screaming actually an important part of the question, and if so, why would you "scream" this information rather than state it as an observation?
4649おねがいします。

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:50 am

Please do not make fun of my question.

First, it was not specifically about what if someone screams \"There are fewer than 136 tiles visible!\" in English. One could certainly express this in Japanese.

Second, it had to do with the cheating techniques, some of which involve hiding tiles in your hand (body part, not \"mahjong hand\"). This would leave fewer than 136 tiles visible on the table.

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Robert wrote:What happens if someone screams that there are fewer than 136 tiles visible?
Every cheating technique runs a risk of discovery. What happens if someone notices the tile-switch manouvres?

What happens depends on a lot of factors - your reputation, the fear/awe you inspire (or fail to), whose territory you are on, whether you are trying to cheat friends, enemies, relatives, or relative strangers, whether you have filled the parlour with your gang or not and so on and so on.

But, to come back to the question, how often would people notice that two tiles were missing from the table? Sometimes people don\'t even notice that a tile is missing from their hand until they try to complete it!

However, if someone DID notice that TWO tiles were missing, then the cheat might suggest that they had never been there in the first place, or maybe "search" for them in the guts of the mechanical table, or "find" them on the floor or call the mahjong parlour master over (if they are in a parlour), and berate him for not doing his job properly and ask him to give them a new set of tiles.

An accomplished cheat is also a master of distraction, like a conjurer. Anyway, my advice is not to try this stuff in games, but only as party tricks (if you can be bothered to practise for hours on end).

Hmm. I am not "making fun" of your question here, but as I answered it I saw Tom\'s point. It is so open ended that in trying to answer it properly, I could end up writing a doctoral thesis!:)

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Robert wrote:Please do not make fun of my question.
...it had to do with the cheating techniques
OH! The question was about CHEATING.
I could not tell that that was what the question was about.
Now I understand the "screaming" bit. For all I knew, the machine had dealt up the walls but there was a tile missing. It could still be in the machine, or it might have fallen unnoticed from the table.

Let\'s start over, then. The hypothetical situation previously described inadequately stated the situation. Let\'s try to paint a clearer situation.

1. The game is in progress and a discerning player ("you") notice that the number of tiles visible on the table amounts to fewer than 136 tiles.

2. You announce this to the group.

OK. This is where your question comes in. Since nobody can tell you what WILL happen in a hypothetical situation, let\'s paint a PROBABLE series of subsequent events.

3. People will probably need convincing, will probably need to be told to stop playing, will probably want to know how you know this, will probably desire proof, and might need to be informed of your suspicion that cheating is going on.

4. Not everyone will assume foul play. The perpetrator may offer a plausible reason (the tile might still be in the machine or might have been knocked off the table unnoticed).

5. If you suspect cheating, you\'ll probably have to say so outright.

6. If you cannot prove definitively who the miscreant is, the hand will probably be thrown in and replayed.
4649おねがいします。

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Tom Sloper wrote:
That depends. Do all the people in the room understand English? ARE there people in the room? If so, and they understand English, are they all insane?
You can assume if there are people in a room and if they understant English, that they are insane.
(Please note I\'m in a room and I understand English.)
hirohurl wrote:What happens depends on a lot of factors - your reputation, the fear/awe you inspire (or fail to), whose territory you are on, whether you are trying to cheat friends, enemies, relatives, or relative strangers, whether you have filled the parlour with your gang or not and so on and so on.
... how many guys have a gun, a knife, a sword, did you put your gun on the table or it is hidden, can you fight with a chair, who have a bulletproof vest or a chainmail, ...
Robert wrote:Please do not make fun of my question.
Don\'t take it bad. There are soo many ways to handle this case, we can\'t just give one absolute answer.

Serioulsy, if you just say "Oh! This wall is too short!" probably nothing will happen. If you use an automatic table you may hear "This table must be damaged.", abord the game and restart with an other table. If you build walls by hand, you may instead head "It must be a mistake while buiding walls. We need to count more carfuly next time." and the game goes on.

If you say "You cheat! You have taken two tiles from your wall!" it will be more harmfull.
1) You can proof the cheat. -> The cheater will be ****** (depending on the lot of factor previously given). If it will be harmfull for him, and if is gand is here and stronger, you may have trouble yourself instead.
2) You failled to prove the cheat OR you made a false accusation. -> People won\'t trust you anymore. You gain a bad reputation.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

fjarkenarken
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by fjarkenarken » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 pm

wow awesome videos.

I had seen some of the cheating vids in another thread.

Do you think the type of tiles you use can make a difference in executing stuff?

Was also wondering about that little trick to flip the last two tiles positions. alot of small minute tricks look pretty cool :)

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:42 pm

That\'s nice move to learn :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e92ZSmVtzOE