A couple of very lucky yakuman vids

The place for video, sites, games replay, books, ...

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

A couple of very lucky yakuman vids

Post by Barticle » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:00 pm

I don't recall watching much mahjong there recently but last night Youtube recommended a couple of cool videos from televised matches and I thought I'd share.

In this first one Masato Hagiwara showcases some Saki-like skillz late in the hand.

:arrow: http://youtu.be/nLkduQ-TjUg (jump to end)

(I wonder if the Maru-Jan contest is connected to the Youtube celebrity cat? :))

In our second clip JPML legend Takeo Kojima displays a 9th-dan poker-face and some typically Japanese humility.

:arrow: http://youtu.be/-7su2I_D0y4

(Odd little fumble from JPML president Moriyama-Pro too.)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: A couple of very lucky yakuman vids

Post by Ignatius » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:15 pm

So, Sû Ankô Rinshan and Chûren Pôtô...

The classic of everyday... :lol:

both vids are amazing.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:37 pm

I noticed that in both videos that some of the tiles in the hands were kept upside down. The same was true in the discard pools where some tiles faced the player and some faced away. Some tiles, like the north winds, started out upside down and then became right-side up. Others didn't. Is there a reason for this or are these players so experienced that there is no need for organization?

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:07 pm

What's with the overtitles scrolling all the time in the first video?

Cool hands. The Chuuren is very quick, with a chii thrown in the middle to keep drawing the right tiles. Case 1 and 9 drawn, too,

@or2az: Those people don't need to organize their tiles much. Note that in the first video the player also takes a couple go-arounds to place his 8s with the other ones.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:30 pm

I think it's amazing that these both happened to be caught on film.

Since being able to read discarded tiles rotated at 90, 180 and 270 degrees is a basic mahjong skill, players can comfortably read their own hand if a tile happens to come from the wall upside-down. Additionally it saves time, but you have the option of making them neater during other players' turns if you wish.

A veteran player can also play with their hand unsorted or only partially sorted. If you play with a hand arranged in the usual sequence (craks - dots - bams - honours) then you'll be feeding your opponents information each time you add/remove a tile or even when you glance at your hand. Also if you play with an unsorted hand on TV it looks more badass. 8)

I suspect that first video came from Niconico which is the Japanese equivalent of Youtube. User comments are linked to a certain time on the video and are displayed on top of the footage.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:35 pm

In fact here it is: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21295409

(Niconico or Facebook login required)