Reach mahjong: the only way to play

American, Filipino... Any other rule sets you may have heard of or come across!

Moderator: Shirluban

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Reach mahjong: the only way to play

Post by Robert » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:29 pm

Why do I play reach mahjong, rather than some other kind of mahjong?

Okay. Try looking on the internet for places where you can play some other kind of mahjong, or downloadable mahjong games. You just might conclude that reach mahjong really is the only way to play.

Zi Rong Low
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Reach mahjong: the only way to play

Post by Zi Rong Low » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:31 pm

QFT!

There are actually a few true 4 player mahjong games in English (eg Four Winds Mahjong and Hong Kong Mahjong), but their numbers are vastly smaller than the infinite number of Tile matching solitaire games that ignorantly claim to be \"Mahjong\". Sigh...

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:52 pm

well yea there are a few games and sites that offer HK and other variants but i didn\'t even bothered to search for them. When i learned about CO and HK and then riichi i just concluded that this is the most logical and playable mahjong variant :) so i think most of us never even bothered about finding for example HK games.

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Robert wrote:Try looking on the internet for places where you can play some other kind of mahjong, or downloadable mahjong games. You just might conclude that reach mahjong really is the only way to play.
Could you elaborate on this please? I don\'t see how this is the inevitable conclusion from trying to look for software on the Internet.
Don\'t get me wrong - Japanese is my favorite mahjong, and I\'m even playing in an all-day game today (with secondhand cigarette smoke, not online), after I\'ve tried playing several variants, not only on the computer... I\'m just seeking clarification of the point being made by the originator of this thread.
4649おねがいします。