Renchan (Continuances) and honba

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Renchan (Continuances) and honba

Post by Ignatius » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Hello I was wondering something about Renchan and Honba. I know when the dealer continues as it, a Honba is added. And it can be added as long as the dealer keeps winning. But what when they are in Ryûkyoku (draw). Probably if the dealer is in tenpai a new honba is added, I bet it. But if not, does that mean the honba are kept for the next game? if that´s so, what happens when the next dealer wins in that new round?

Does he obtain the prize for all the honba and then his/her continuance starts as first honba, or the new honba is added to preexistent ones?

If that happens, how should I consider that honba round as: East/South "X" 1st Honba?

I´m not really sure. I would thank an explanation.

I hope I explained myself in an understandable way.

Thanks in advance.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Renchan (Continuances) and honba

Post by Senechal » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:45 pm

You add honba in all cases barring the following two:

1. Chombo hands.
2. When the dealer gets bounced by a non-oya winning hand.

Draw hands add honba, irrespective of dealer tenpai status. So in a standard East wing with tenpai-renchan, if original West deals third, gets two repeats by winning then fails to get tenpai the next hand. the honba count goes from two to three, even if the deal passes hands. ((meaning going from "East 3, 2-honba" to "East 4, 3-honba"))

Honba sticks however are virtual, they are not stolen by the next dealer. Original West takes his two sticks back. Original North (4th dealer) places three for the next hand.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: Renchan (Continuances) and honba

Post by Ignatius » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Oh, thanks, Understood.

You helped me a lot.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.