Mahjong video guide

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Mahjong video guide

Post by Gnom » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi everyone!
A few months ago I made a series of videos to teach mahjong to newcomers, since written explanations are usually pretty long and hard to follow. I didn't mention it here because it's all in French, but I just added some english subtitles, so if anyone's interested they're here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6Y8K_MfwON .
They don't give detailed rules and there are some approximations, since the goal is to explain mahjong in a simple way, so advanced players won't have a use for them except if they want to teach mahjong to someone!

My english is not perfect so there may be some translation mistakes or some strange ways of talking, if you spot anything be sure to let me know...

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Mahjong video guide

Post by Krabman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:07 pm

You look like a Mahjong Wizard! Nicely done. Concise and to the point. Good quality and camera angles!

About your English - I don't see any reason to apologize for it. I think it's really good and I understood everything with ease.

One thing - you refer to the Round Wind (Prevailing Wind) as 'turn wind' which I think could be confusing.

Have you thought about videos on strategy for more advanced players? There have been no decent ones made by non Japanese players, which is a shame.

I'm planning to record similar tutorials in Polish! I'm even more inspired to do it after watching your videos :)

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I'm especially forgetful of mahjong english terminology since I mostly speak of mahjong in French! I'll write down all the corrections and bulk edit the subtitles sometime soon.

As for future plans for videos, there are, but it shouldn't be about strategy --at least not before sometime. No date or anything though...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Nice work, Gnom. That's a great resource for French players but also totally accessible now for English speakers. (well, English readers!)

The video format is really handy for illustrating the various aspects of the game.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:39 am

Gnom great job there.

I´ve seen that in the yaku part when you talk about the Menzen tsumo, you write 門前 (Tsumo). And 門前 is menzen, and 自摸 is tsumo. Maybe the way you wrote it is intended, so I don´t know...

Also your japanese pronunciation is really good, apart from the "R" letter wich has a heavy french accent, something to expect... No complaints there. :)
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:13 am

Iapetus, you're right, in order to keep things clear I took a few liberties with the Japanese translations (and some other things). I wanted players who play video games to have a chance to recognize the yakus in the list after you win, and in the game I was playing at the time they only wrote menzen. There are a few other approximations, most being intended, and one being a missing rush (no mention of oya renchan except in case of a draw)... Glad you find it useful anyway :)

I won't comment on the accent since I don't want my resentment at myself to become a public thin :p