Riichi in end round with a bad wait

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Riichi in end round with a bad wait

Post by Mauro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:06 pm

This is a hand I saw playing: East 1, 0 continuance, you are dealer and about to make your 15th discard; this is your hand:

2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 3-dot 4-dot 5-dot 8-dot 8-dot 9-dot 6-bam 6-bam 7-bam 7-bam draw: 8-bam dora: 4-dot

In the ponds you can see three 5-bam and two 8-bam, so your wait is bad, and in your pond you have just one bam, 9-bam.

I'm not sure if I'd riichi: I already have two yakus, so I can already ron: this is a 3 han ( 5-bam ) to 5 han ( 8-bam tsumo) hand, so 3900 to 8000; with riichi, it's 7700 to 8000, more if I hit tsumo, ippatsu or ura-dora; on the other hand, I have very few waits and very few turns, so I'm betting 1000 points on a handful of tiles, and I'm warning my opponents I'm tenpai (with a pond that says, "Beware bams").

(The player riichied, draw 8-bam and hit two ura-dora, for a baiman.)

Shirluban

Re: Riichi in end round with a bad wait

Post by Shirluban » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:46 pm

You have +/-17 turns per hand.
Declaring riichi at the 15th discard is very very late, and you already have a yaku.
So, there are too few chances to improve the hand be declaring riichi here.

However, declaring riichi is still interesting to warn the others you're tenpai, and hope they'll fold... That being said, it's of little use that late in the game.

==> No riichi for me.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world