How often do you get tenpai?

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

ardiel
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

How often do you get tenpai?

Post by ardiel » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:34 pm

How often do you really get tenpai with real tiles?

I was wondering because I've never played real tiles so I'm wondering what is really accurate. Playing video games I've noticed a difference between games with how easy it is to make a hand.

For example with Saikyo no Mahjong or Pro Mahjong Kiwame I reach tenpai for something most of the time, but games like Mahjong Fight Club or AI Mahjong I feel like I can't get tenpai even half the time while at least one if not more CPUs riichi almost every hand, and often early.

What is more realistic?

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: How often do you get tenpai?

Post by or2az » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:32 am

I don't think either one of them is "more realistic". It probably depends more on how close your playing ability is to your opponents playing ability.
I reach tenpai for something most of the time

This is the way it seemed in the early levels (CPU 3, CPU 4) of that marathon I just went through.
I feel like I can't get tenpai even half the time while at least one if not more CPUs riichi almost every hand, and often early.
This is the way it was in the later levels, CPU 6, and CPU 7, fast and furious.

With real tiles, depending on how advanced your opponents are, I imagine your answer lies somewhere in the middle. Doesn't mean you can't win anyway.

ardiel
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: How often do you get tenpai?

Post by ardiel » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:19 am

My opponents shouldn't effect how I constantly get junk tiles though. That's what I'm talking about. It's not that they get tenpai first or something, it's the fact that I don't get tenpai at all because I'm being fed junk tiles at an alarming rate. I don't dare try to change my hand to incorporate the junk because whenever I do, the tiles I needed before always come out right after and I end up in a worse position.

Edit:
It also loves to load me up with enough 1s and 9s to be annoying but not enough to be chanta.

Edit edit:
After playing it a bit more it was probably just a run of bad luck plus new game bias.