What would you do?

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Yttrasil
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

What would you do?

Post by Yttrasil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Hey here\'s another one... so riichi or no riichi? Ton only and this is the last hand if I get 1st place or the other guy wins.

WWYD?

carl
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:What would you do?

Post by carl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:00 am

i\'d reach, another 9-crak will most likely turn up, theyll probably think youre waiting on a bamboo.

Arcade
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Arcade » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 am

Reach.
Maybe I\'d consider not if 2 or so 6-crak is already discarded but none of the 9-crak. A guaranteed top on the win is sooooo valuable...

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:57 am

No reason not to reach.

Yttrasil
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Yttrasil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:27 am

What this is kind of a surprise to me actually :)

I think this is almost an obvious not riichi, since any tile i tsumo will get me the win no matter what and also a 9m discard at that which might come anytime. Only thing is that if someone throws the 6m I\'ll be furiten for 1 round. Me riiching will just stop them from throwing what I want and make me rely on a tsumo alot more I think. Don\'t know but maybe you guys didn\'t see the 3 100 sticks whatever they are called and the riichi stick in the middle so the 6m tsumo is enough for me to win.

I think the 9 will flow out quite easily, if I don\'t get a tsumo or am I wrong? B)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Yttrasil wrote:Only thing is that if someone throws the 6m I\'ll be furiten for 1 round.
... and you let pass a winning tile. Why take the risk?
Me riiching will just stop them from throwing what I want and make me rely on a tsumo alot more I think.
I don\'t agree, your pond don\'t show 6 nor 9wan to be dangerous.
Not more than near-every other tiles at least.

Pond reading quizz:
Which tiles are dangerous, which are safe?

:north :west green-dra red-dra 2-bam 2-crak riichi - 6-bam -
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

5dots
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by 5dots » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:33 am

Reach.

Even though if you declare a discarded 6-crak you win the game as +900 for \"honba\"

MortenA
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by MortenA » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Depends on who I\'m playing.
If the other players are very defensive I would not Riichi since this is too much of a danger-sign. On the other hand if the players are less defensive I might as well riichi since I\'m unlikely to want to change the hand anyway and it gives me one more tile to go out on.

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 am

People are saying that riichi would stop the other players from throwing your winning tile, but that assumes that they wouldn\'t just ignore the riichi.

It\'s the last round, so why would the 2 other players besides the person in first play defense? There\'s no reason for the person in last to fold. The person in south is well within reach of 1st place so he shouldnt fold. Even the person who\'s in first would want to be careful about folding. If no one wins and he\'s no-ten, you\'ll pass him in points anyways.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:02 am

South player (or some other player) might throw another nine if they think you don\'t need it (and you will get yaku for three similar), and there is still four sixes which you can win also (if you do declare riichi), possibly by tsumo. Also, the jackpot is 1900 so I only need 700 points to win. Concealed tsumo getting a six would win enough, but what if someone else throws a six? I would try to estimate based on previous playing styles of the opponents to decide whether or not I need a improved chance of winning, and whether or not it really is a improved chance of winning. And of course I am East player so if I win, the game isn\'t over yet! But I still have to win!