WWYD is not WWYD

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Fat*Dragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

WWYD is not WWYD

Post by Fat*Dragon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 pm

WHY Would You Discard C8?

I picked this up from a Japanese site, the Pro's answer to WWYD is C8. I've seen that advice before by another Pro, so this maybe has to be some kind of general play in that situation. I'm aware that there's Ryan Peikou possible, but here the question is for the fastet path to tenpai. If I cut C8 then I have 4 outs (and also lose pinfu). If I cut C7 I have 6 outs... By the way, 66% of the readers of site I took this example from voted for C7 (which made it the most prefered play in that situation).

7-crak 7-crak 8-crak 9-crak 9-crak 7-dot 7-dot 8-dot 8-dot 9-dot 9-dot 6-bam 7-bam draw: 8-bam dora: 8-bam

Shirluban

Re: WWYD is not WWYD

Post by Shirluban » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 pm

7-crak not only gives the more outs, but also the biggest hand. And there is a chance to make it even bigger with sanshoku.
If it's only a question of fastest way to win, maybe it's about pond reading.

If someone discard a 7, we can assume he had (among other things):
457 -> wait on 3-6
677 -> wait on 5-8
778 -> wait on 6-9
So the wait on the 6 looks especially dangerous, few hope someone discard it.

If someone discard 8, he may had:
568 -> wait on 4-7
788 -> wait on 6-9
889 -> probably not, with this it's more likely to discard the 9 and wait on a ryanmen elsewhere.
Whatever, 7 and 9 looks dangerous too.

This analysis is a bit too simple, but I don't see any real reason to discard the 8 and not the 7.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Maybe if you linked me I could translate it for you...? Is this from Heartland?

Anyway, the way I see it "You want to keep your one away of 7 pairs while still keeping the dora meld and aiming for a meld hand."

So I wouldn't be surprised if the next discards were 7c if you drew any bam from 5b to 9b or something like that later.

Fat*Dragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Fat*Dragon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks for your responses. I'm in a hurry.

@xKime
Here's the link http://nnkr.jp/questions/result/2677

I hope this may clear up things...

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 pm

Keeping the option for seven pairs makes sense, as we can choose easily the waiting tile and have some way to defend without breaking the hand.
But going from a double wait on 6 tiles to a single wait on 3 tiles makes really little sense for me, if any.

The author's answer:
自分は八萬切ってリーチ。次順に9ソウをツモってしまいました。
My [choice] is discard 8-crak and riichi. (I'm not sure what the second sentence means. It's about drawing a 9-bam and switch the shuntsu?)
(I'm far from fluent and I don't have my Japanese dictionaries at work, so...)

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:37 pm

(I'm not sure what the second sentence means...
It says that the poster chose to discard 8 of characters and reach, just to regrettably draw the 9 bams later and baww.

Some guy said "8 of characters insta riichi!"

Another guy who chose 7 of character says "I don't see the reason to discard 8c."
And the vast majority chose 7 of characters. The only point where they vary is whether they reach or damaten.

I don't think 8c riichi is recomended at all. It's just what the OP and a ver few other people chose. And he did say that it backfired immediately.

I also find it hilarious that the 8bam dora is in 5th place. w

EDIT:

I was looking at this site, and hey!!! Yoshida Kouta has an active account. He's one of my favorite Pros. I've seen a Tenhou championship at which he owned! His attack-defense balance is very good. http://nnkr.jp/users/questions/golden_arm

Also my fiance's surname is Yoshida as well, so I feel a bit fascinated. w
Still here is the link to the championship: http://tenhou.net/cs/200901pre/

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 pm

xKime wrote:I don't think 8c riichi is recomended at all. It's just what the OP and a ver few other people chose. And he did say that it backfired immediately.
Yeah, there is no explanation why to chose the 8man and I would certainly not recommend it myself.
xKime wrote:I also find it hilarious that the 8bam dora is in 5th place.
That struggle me. I understand the 6sou and 9man (and not support it), but I can't tell why someone will discard the dora here.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Shirluban wrote:
xKime wrote:I don't think 8c riichi is recomended at all. It's just what the OP and a ver few other people chose. And he did say that it backfired immediately.
Yeah, there is no explanation why to chose the 8man and I would certainly not recommend it myself.
xKime wrote:I also find it hilarious that the 8bam dora is in 5th place.
That struggle me. I understand the 6sou and 9man (and not support it), but I can't tell why someone will discard the dora here.
It's obviously a joke. =P

Anyone can vote, and it's always fun to go and vote for the worst tile possible. It's an old joke, but it makes me chuckle every time.

Fat*Dragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Fat*Dragon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks guys for taking the time to clear things up. Yes, I did believe it's a Pros comment on how to play in that situation, because a stumbled across this through a link on Yoshida Kouta's blog site. xKime already posted the link to the Tenhou championship which I also saw. I think it was posted on the old forum by HotelFSR about some time ago.

For the hand I would say there is some flixibility regarding different Yakus. If time is given then one could build a little monster out of it.