WWYD 2012/12/31

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Tungsten Tungsten Yttrium Deuterium

You may select 1 option

No votes
No votes
No votes
24%
6%
No votes
59%
12%
No votes

Total votes: 17

Shirluban

WWYD 2012/12/31

Post by Shirluban » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Happy new year!
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: WWYD 2012/12/31

Post by xKime » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 am

Whether it is from the defensive or offensive side of the spectrum: 5-dot

As far as tile efficiency goes, ryanmen-kotei (two-sided-wait fixation) is the right procedure, this being 5-dot
(Arguably, 9m might be better from a tile efficiency point of view, but given my next point, you'll have to deal with it)

As far as defense goes, you have no other safe tiles candidates but the naka-suji (middle octave) of 2-dot and 8-dot , this being your pair of 5-dot
(This has the added plus of buying an extra turn)

Given the current round, seat, hand shape and the reason above, going off your path and discarding more dangerous tiles (like 6-dot 1-crak 6-crak with 6p being a remarkably terrible discard) to attempt to go for ittsuu is as far-fetched as amateur-like, an all-around losing discard selection, and I do not need to stress that any further (unless some Zorblakian completely unable to understand this needs to ask).

Do note that you might argue 9-crak as a valid discard (basically only deals into ryanmen or tanki, the latter being unlikely) only -after- you draw 7-crak, 6-crak or 1-crak and not before that, and especially not at this point.

Happy new year.

EDIT: Also, I don't see the poll.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:56 pm

There are not much score difference, and East and South players look pretty dangerous.
So I want a fast flexible hand, even if it's a cheap one.

9-crak is certainly the "best" discard to get that, but forfeiting the ittsu to discard a dangerous tile is pretty much a lose-lose situation.
Others manzu, and souzu, go against flexibility and aren't any safer.

Discarding 5-dot seems the only way to keep flexibility and to have a not-too-dangerous discard.

Edit: You should sea the pool now that I have created it.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 am

5-dot

Hand going nowhere. Nothing much to do other than go full on defensive here, with pinzu tiles being the most safest.

deJENNerate
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by deJENNerate » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:44 pm

I agree with you guys. I really want to keep my open-ended wait with 5-dot 6-dot and hope for some good stuff in the craks so I can reach. No great expectations for this hand though...

Although by breaking up the pair I lose all motivation for the full straight (ittsu). If I wanna go for that I feel like discarding something like 6-crak or 1-crak and then also opening up the door for open simples (tanyao) if need be.

Forgot to mention it's East-only~

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Woah, Jenn replying to the thread! Hi, there.

As a side note, perhaps it is the part of me that plays tenhou too much instead of rules that over-reward 1st places, but whenever I think of East only, I am always more tempted towards not dealing into a riichi while shanten (thus making a comeback almost impossible with so few rounds), than going all out for a win because of the fewer chances to build a hand. I am fully aware that in fighting for first place, agression is more important.

shinkiii
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by shinkiii » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 pm

I play far too aggressively for my own good, so I'd probably throw away 1-crak hoping to avoid ippatsu and then continue developing my hand, but the best play is throwing away 5-dot and defending.

also, I don't know if this question will be answered or seen because this is an older WWYD, but why is 6p a terrible discard? Is the 7p8p discarded in succession a sign that they've abandoned that wait for a wait on 3p6p in the middle, or is there another reason for it being dangerous?

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:04 pm

shinkiii wrote:I play far too aggressively for my own good, so I'd probably throw away 1-crak hoping to avoid ippatsu and then continue developing my hand, but the best play is throwing away 5-dot and defending.

also, I don't know if this question will be answered or seen because this is an older WWYD, but why is 6p a terrible discard? Is the 7p8p discarded in succession a sign that they've abandoned that wait for a wait on 3p6p in the middle, or is there another reason for it being dangerous?
Uh... I would say ippatsu is pretty much avoided already.

6p is a discard that is not good or efficient for the defense nor attack standpoints and accomplishes nothing. It's just asking to get pwned, really.