WWYD 2013-03-25

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Nya~

You may select 1 option

View results

Shirluban

WWYD 2013-03-25

Post by Shirluban » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Well, we're first with almost 20k points lead and it's East 4 on an East-only game, so I'll just go for the fastest win.

8-bam 9-bam 9-bam seems to be the "least" interesting part of the hand, and since two 8-bam are already gone there are big chances someone will discard 9-bam for us to pon, especially if we discard a (third) 8-bam .
Then, I remembered we actually need a yaku, so I'll discard 9-bam and go for tanyao, keeping sanshoku 345 as a bonus or escape plan (in case we draw a 9-crak ).

I may open the hand if the sanshoku goes further or if the 9m thread is cleared off.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Scott Miller
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Re: WWYD 2013-03-25

Post by Scott Miller » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 pm

My thoughts are similar to Shirluban, but I'm thinking the hand is pretty versatile in terms of how many different tiles could bring this to ready. I'd probably stick with discarding the 8-bam, and keep my hand closed. It does seem tempting to go for tanyao, so maybe if the next few draws don't go my way, I'd have regrets and discard my terminals after all.
Editor, Mahjong News
Author, "Mahjong from A to Zhú"
Columnist, "Tiles of the Unexpected" in "Mahjong Collector Magazine"
World Riichi Championship Committee
Vice President of the Mahjong Int'l League
Chow Eater

mrrrx
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by mrrrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:31 pm

5-bam

Chances are, we'll have to discard this eventually, so it may as well be now while it's probably safe. Unless the shape of the hand changes, I don't think we'd really want to pon the 5 anyway, since it means we'd either have to discard the dora or just keep it floating around. Not sure if that's too wishy-washy, but it seems like the shape of the hand is already pretty much set and the 5 won't be needed.

Would go for discarding the 9-bam next, probably. 8-bam is our only tile that's safe against anyone, would like to keep it around as long as it makes sense to so as not to get caught off guard with a riichi (and to keep the wait on the 7)

shinkiii
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by shinkiii » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:08 pm

5-crak

It leaves us with the fastest open road to tenpai. 4-bam 5-bam 5-bam and 8-bam 9-bam 9-bam are both great groups that can develop into complete sets, and the other two-sided waits are fairly likely to be completed. Riichi only is enough, and your wait will either be two-sided or shanpon taking advantage of an isolated 9-bam (since only one 8-bam is remaining in the wall, there will probably be an isolated 9-bam).