WWYD 2013-04-08

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Nya~

You may select 1 option

View results

Shirluban

WWYD 2013-04-08

Post by Shirluban » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: WWYD 2013-04-08

Post by Kyuu » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm

2-dot

Useless duplicate. Keeping it would be asking for a penchan. At this stage of the hand, it's pointless to go in that direction. Even if a 3-pin comes around, at least, it would be used for the 4-5 ryanmen. Eventually, that hatsu has to be taken care of.

Scott Miller
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Re: WWYD 2013-04-08

Post by Scott Miller » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 pm

I agree with Kyuu that (unless you fold this hand) that hatsu has to be taken care of... but its a fresh tile... as is the 2dot.

Here's my read on this table,

This hand is already past half done, and getting it into tenpai with self-draws is going to be tight, and even if I get it into tenpai, it's looking to be a poor scoring hand, and by then it will be even later in the hand making riichi a poor gamble too, so even less of an incentive to keep this weak hand going. Moreover, East has a melded yakuhai, so could be going for a quick cheap hand to hang on to East another round, making the time-clock even tighter for me to get my hand into shape.

The night is young, and so is this match, so I'm going to fold. So I'm keeping the hatsu and the 2dot, both fresh tiles at this stage of the game, and I'll discard the 8-bamboo, the safest tile in my hand at the moment. If the next few draws are unexpectedly full of good-fortune, It wouldn't be yet too late to reverse course and go for it again, but the next few draws will answer that for me.
Editor, Mahjong News
Author, "Mahjong from A to Zhú"
Columnist, "Tiles of the Unexpected" in "Mahjong Collector Magazine"
World Riichi Championship Committee
Vice President of the Mahjong Int'l League
Chow Eater