WWYD 2013-06-17

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Nya~

You may select 1 option

View results

Shirluban

WWYD 2013-06-17

Post by Shirluban » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Harmonix
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: WWYD 2013-06-17

Post by Harmonix » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:18 pm

. . . I need your luck at getting these epic starting hands. >_> Usually mine have like 2~4 scattered unpaired honors/winds and/or 1~3 unpaired terminals.

For this hand, don't go for honitsu...I'd keep as many triplets as possible and try to force it into a san-an-kou. As for calling, I would only call on the last tile of its kind or when I'm desperate (goal: capitalize off of dealership). This hand is too good for seven pairs so even if I get into tenpai for it, I'll just keep it like that and break it later unless my bad luck keeps me from getting any progress even after the 12th discard. Also as usual, never do an open kan unless your hand is already open and it's close to end-game and no one declared riichi.
I'll discard the 6-dot since if the opponents are holding pinzu tiles, it'd more likely be that one.
Reasoning: You already have two 3-dot s so it'll be slightly more unlikely for them to have 2-dot 3-dot 4-dot and same logic for 7-dot 8-dot 9-dot
Also keep any 2-dot 's you find- a dealer mangan/haneman is good too. If you're lucky with dora, it can be bumped to baiman.
(riichi, iipeikou, hatsu, chanta(concealed), [menzen tsumo?] +any dora/uradora)
If by some ungodly chance you or some one else makes a kan (ankan, if you're the one making it) and the dora and uradora are both 9-bam or you win by suankou.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:35 pm

1-bam

Dump one of these. Go for Chiitoitsu, as it'd be 1-shanten at this point.

3-shanten for Honitsu.
2-shanten for getting to any other tenpai.

hmm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by hmm » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:31 pm

6-dot
Its still early so you can go for a toitoi hand so hold onto the three 1s and the 6p doesn't really give you extra flexibility.
Drawing anyone of a 257p all puts you one tile from ready without the 6p or committing to a toitoi or 7 pair hand.