WWYD 2014-03-07

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

WWYD 2014-03-07

Post by Ozball » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:38 pm

Here's this week's weekly WWYD from MFC. Apologies for the bubble covering the two tiles in the discards. I'd already made my choice for the week and wasn't able to get a screenshot without it. I believe the covered tiles are a :north and a 8-bam. Also the green highlighted tiles are ones that were tsumogiri'd ie they were discarded as soon as they were drawn.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-03-12-08-22-45_1.jpg
Screenshot_2014-03-12-08-22-45_1.jpg (175.27 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
Screenshot_2014-03-12-08-24-21_1.jpg
Screenshot_2014-03-12-08-24-21_1.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
Last edited by Ozball on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: WWYD 2014-03-07

Post by or2az » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:08 am

I guess I'll take the first shot at this so as not to get influenced by others. Seems like lots of possible yaku, but due to my video game mentality, I would toss the 4-bam and aim for seven pairs or toi-toi along with tanyao. If I were able to draw a quick 5-crak , that's iipeiko with pinfu possibilities.
The 5566 dots provide additional drama for chows if I can keep it closed and pungs if I open the hand for the toi-toi. A headache is also a possibility.
( I can also envision 3 concealed pungs with some lucky draws, but I wouldn't count on it)
I cant tell if this is a hanchan or east round only, (is that what it says in green in the top right?) , but if the points are desperately needed, you might want to stay concealed and go for riichi-iipeiko-pinfu-tanyao, if possible. ( I might be over thinking all of this)

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:03 am

I choose 6m. It leaves the widest path to tenpai AND has the least backfires overall. The hand has tanyao dora2 already, so toitoi is unnecessary.

The main competitor isn't 4s, but 7m. Discarding 7m, 78m are backfires for a total of 7 tiles. Discarding 6m, 36m are backfires for a total of 5 tiles. Furthermore, some of the backfires for 7m discard are tenpais, while all backfires for 6m discard are just non-chiitoi iishantens.
Last edited by Iapetus on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:29 am

One remark needs to be added, This game is no South.(half-hanchan)
Ozball has 12,300 Point. even still he will have dealer turn at 4th round, this turn is big chance to up set.
I want over mangan somehow. tan-pin-dora2 or riichi tanyao dora2 or riichi-tsumo 7 pair dora2 can expect. Toi-toi is almost impossible in your hand. due to other players looks like tan-pin hand, so that maybe the tile which I want to pon will not be discarded. I would discard 6-crak. to keep 7 pairs 1-shanten, to reduce head candidates.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:27 am

Just to clarify: this isn't actually one of my games. It's this week's "みんなで何切る?" From MFCs website. They have a weekly problem and get a pro to comment on it after a week. My plan is to try and translate the pro commentary once it's out (next Monday).

Having said that here's my discard choice: 3-bam
I felt it gave the most possibilities for developing the hand in different ways. Tanyao is pretty much guaranteed. Possible other yaku: ipeikou/double runs, Pinfu/peace. Also possible is ryanpeikou using the 5-dot 6-dot.

The pairs of 5-dot and 6-dot can be developed into ipeikou or triples depending what you draw, or even drop the 6-dot and use the 5-dot as your head of you draw tiles to complete you groups in bams and craks.

The reason I leave the craks alone is that you have all tiles from 3-crak to 8-crak improving your hand in some way. The way I view it currently is three possible groups. The obvious ones are the 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak ipeikou and the 6-crak 7-crak run. Drawing a 5-crak gets you the extra yaku and sets you up with a two way wait for Pinfu (albeit with a 6 tile wait instead of the ideal 8 ). Drawing a 3-crak allows you to get 345 and the either 666 and drop the 7 later or 66 and 67 giving you a head and a two sided wait for Pinfu. A 4-crak gives you the option of two triples 444 and 666 or a 44 456 66 and a double pair wait. Not ideal since you give up both the possibility of Pinfu and San Ankou, but in last place you need to take what you can get sometimes so if the draw gets you to tenpai with this shape then might as well take it. The 5-crak I've mentioned and is the ideal draw in craks. 6-crak allows for a 44 567 666 set up. A 7-crak gives 44 666 77 marginally better than the double pair wait above, but mostly for the extra fu. While the 8-crak is the second most ideal draw in craks as it still allows you to get ipeikou albeit at the loss of Pinfu most likely.

The bams are the least interesting in this hand. Hence the choice to drop the 3. The two sided wait to complete the run is best, and it's quite possible that you'll drop the 3 and 4 any ways to make way for extra yaku in the other suits.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:43 am

As is Monday and the start of a new week MFC have posted the results for this WWYD.
A breakdown of how many people picked which tile. The most popular one is also highlighted in purple. (My choice is in blue)

A JPML pro's response and selection (in green)
Takizawa Kazunori - 7th Dan
"Again we have a difficult hand without any of the four groups or the head decided. Because of that it's important to setup the flexibility properly. So while this is a discard question, in reality it's more about deciding whether to go iishanten for Seven Pairs, or advance towards tanyao-pinfu.
For me, if you only look at winning the hand then the tanpin is the way to go, as it's the easiest to win with. In which case the 4-crak would be most widely accepted as the best discard. As this hand has two red 5s, even if I was in last place I would seek the secure win over the higher score."

Translation Note: In the final sentence he makes what seems to be a baseball reference (to RBI or Runs Batted In) which I'm not 100% sure on the meaning as I don't really follow baseball to that extent. Based on the context I translated it as "higher score" but if I've gotten this completely wrong then please let me know.

EDIT: some minor fixes to translation.
Last edited by Ozball on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Your understanding is correct for "打点" in the context in his word is "high score hand". even though "打点" means "score" Japanese is high context language as you know:-)
One small correction "ラス目"(rasume) does not mean "last hand", it means "4th position"
So translation will be like following.

As this hand has two red 5s, even I am 4th position I would aim the secure win instead of high score hand"

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Masa wrote:Your understanding is correct for "打点" in the context in his word is "high score hand". even though "打点" means "score" Japanese is high context language as you know:-)
One small correction "ラス目"(rasume) does not mean "last hand", it means "4th position"
So translation will be like following.

As this hand has two red 5s, even I am 4th position I would aim the secure win instead of high score hand"
Cheers for that! Yeah translating ラス目 as last hand didn't feel right since it should be オーラス in that case. But at the time couldn't figure out what else it could have been.

For 打点 I got the RBI definition when I looked up the kanji (as a group), so I just went with it. But yeah, the Japanese language loves it's contexts and ellipses.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks