Would you chi/pon in this situation?

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Would you chi/pon in this situation?

Post by or2az » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Ignatius wrote: I´m interested in opinions about the last hand of this game: http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2015031410gm-0 ... c2f3d&tw=0
I usually play Hanchan because I tend to play more relaxed than in Tonpû games.
I initially was surprised that you didn't keep the 2-dot 2-dot 2-dot and then tossed a 5-dot-red but then I realized it was East round only and this was your last chance to win. Same with your opponent when he tossed you a 5-crak-red . All or nothing. Go for it. I agree. It almost worked.

If this was a hanchan, drawing the 5-dot-red would have altered my strategy. Not sure if it would be the correct move, but I wouldn't discard it. Since I would have the South round to catch up, I would just try not to "lose" this hand as opposed to aggressively going for the win. Maybe get a tenpai draw. Don't like getting "burned" on a discarded red five if I don't really have to.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:54 am

That´s the point, I wondered if someone could see a better solution.
I couldn´t see real options to do it better. So I went for it. Besides, if I could had win off my kamicha (the player on my left) I would had won. Chances were zero... And I really didn´t count on it. But if the winning tile were to be tsumoed..
Don´t know, because I´m unable to count points. Too much online and videogames plays (that´s my only way to do it). I´m used to let the game to calculate them for me.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:52 am

But if the winning tile were to be tsumoed......
The way it was, you got 30 fu 3 han for a total of 3900 points.
If you had won by tsumo, you would have gotten an extra han (yaku) for menzen tsumo but lost the 10 fu for menzen ron.
HOWEVER, the winning tile (from the wall) would not be the RED 5 because that was already in someones hand so you would lose the han for the second dora. ( Your opponent drew it immediately after you became tenpai)
That would leave you with 20 fu 3 han which, obviously, is less than what you got.

So, as you said before, your only chance was to ron the dealer.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:11 am

Cool to know. Thanks.
Being that the case, I'm very happy with the outcome. :)
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.