Short- and long-term tile efficiency

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Short- and long-term tile efficiency

Post by Mauro » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:56 pm

Let's say a player has this hand, with a called set (which is not relevant to the question):

2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 7-crak 8-crak 8-crak 1-bam 2-bam 7-dot :north :north

What would you discard?

On one hand, 7-dot is clearly unconnected and the way to go if you pursue short-term tile efficiency, since it leaves you with 16 out and two partial sets, but if you close the ryanmen then you are in a one-side wait with 4 outs.

On the other hand, if you cut 1-bam or 2-bam, you lose one potential set, but you have 57 tiles that improves your hand, which goes to 40 if you draw 6-crak 8-crak 9-crak, with a chance to a tenpai with ryanmen wait.

Is the improvement in useful tiles worth sacrificing 1-bam 2-bam? If I do, would the hand be much slower could, since on one hand I cut a potential set, but on the other hand I greatly improved my useful tiles?

Shirluban

Re: Short- and long-term tile efficiency

Post by Shirluban » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:26 am

Mauro wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:56 pm
if you cut 1-bam or 2-bam, you lose one potential set, but you have 57 tiles that improves your hand
I fail to see which ones.
Let's say you discard 1-bam :
6-dot 8-dot do improve the hand.
5-dot 9-dot 4-bam is only slightly better that the initial position.
7-crak 7-dot 2-bam are questionable whether they really improve the hand, as you don't need three potential pairs.
6-crak 8-crak 9-crak :north put you 1-away, but they would have made you tenpai if you had discarded 7-dot .
Other tiles don't put you back 1-away, and three quarters of them don't even connect to anything.

So overall 20 tiles put you in a better position than discarding 7-dot .
If you could declare riichi, that would be only 8 tiles.

Assuming the called set is a yakuhai, I would consider folding as an open 1-han hand is not worth pushing to.
(If the called set is anything else, then the hand wouldn't have any yaku...)

If the hand were still closed, it would be better to be tenpai quickly and declare riichi, even with a bad wait, since it incites the other players to break their hand to defend. Riichi + maybe ippatsu, tsumo, ura-doa can bring quite some points.
... but I would still consider folding.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Short- and long-term tile efficiency

Post by Mauro » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:17 pm

Shirluban wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:26 am
Mauro wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:56 pm
if you cut 1-bam or 2-bam, you lose one potential set, but you have 57 tiles that improves your hand
I fail to see which ones
Not sure what I did to have 57, but I was basing my message on Tenhou which gives 53: https://tenhou.net/2/?q=234788m7p2s445z (white dragon because Tenhou gives you the drawn tile, so I used one that's unconnected).
6-crak 8-crak 9-crak :north put you 1-away, but they would have made you tenpai if you had discarded 7-dot
True, but my doubt was also based on the idea that discarding sou does slow you down, but you could have a tenpai with eight outs instead of four; I'm not sure if/when such a trade-off makes sense, also because as you point out you could slow down your hand and still end up with the same 4-tiles wait.