Ippatsu on Ryanhan Shibari

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Ippatsu on Ryanhan Shibari

Post by Referee » Fri May 13, 2011 1:06 pm

One of the places I use to play MJ (which is not a dedicated majan game, but a game that allows you to play riichi) has the rule that Riichi Ippatsu only wouldn't fufill Ryanhan Shibari. Is that a standard thing? The only thing that it seems would fit is Atozuke Nashi, but Atozuke is allowed, on specific waits (like not all my waits give me a yaku) as well as circumstancial yaku, so that can't be it... What would be the standard way(s) to play that?

Also, slightly related, is Paarenchan to be counted with the eighth deal (East 1-7) or the eighth redeal (East 1-8)? Ryanhan starts at East 1-5, which seems good to me.

Shirluban

Re: Ippatsu on Ryanhan Shibari

Post by Shirluban » Fri May 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Referee wrote:Riichi Ippatsu only wouldn't fufill Ryanhan Shibari.
I've never heared of that before, and I don't see any reason to do so.
As I understand Atozuke, I would count Riichi Ippatsu valid even with Atozuke nashi (Menzen tsumo only would be valid after all, so why not Ippatsu?).

Maybe the specific rule the game use doesn't see Ippatsu as a yaku but as some sort of dora?

For Paarenchan, I don't know.
I never play with this optional yaku, and even if I did without knowing it the case never show up.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun May 15, 2011 12:05 am

Referee wrote:One of the places I use to play MJ (which is not a dedicated majan game, but a game that allows you to play riichi) has the rule that Riichi Ippatsu only wouldn't fufill Ryanhan Shibari. Is that a standard thing? The only thing that it seems would fit is Atozuke Nashi, but Atozuke is allowed, on specific waits (like not all my waits give me a yaku) as well as circumstancial yaku, so that can't be it... What would be the standard way(s) to play that?

Also, slightly related, is Paarenchan to be counted with the eighth deal (East 1-7) or the eighth redeal (East 1-8)? Ryanhan starts at East 1-5, which seems good to me.
If Atozuke is allowed (and even if it wasn't, but especially if atozuke is allowed) I see no reason to invalidate it. If anything, it's unbalanced... it really restricts you to having at least two yaku before you can get ippatsu; you can't get ippatsu on your riichi dora 4, but the loon with riichi ii-pei-kou can. It's not standard, but then again neither is ryan han shibari. If that's how they play there, I would stop and think if it's worth of it. I would prefer they didn't have ippatsu at all for that matter.

As for paarenchan yakuman... To put it more accurately, it is awarded on your eighth consecutive win. It is generally thought that all eight wins must be on your dealer turn, or that it is awarded when there are 8 honba on the table (you may still find local rules that go these two ways), but generally the amount of tsumibou and whether you were dealer or no-dealer at the time you started your first win doesn't matter. Since when you get to your eighth win you will obviously be dealer by that point, it is said to be a yakuman that only the dealer can get. It sometimes is considered to bypass ryanhanshibari or even ii han shibari on its own. There are rules that award you paarenchan for every win after the eighth one, and some that awards it after every eight wins. There is even a local rule that will grant a no-dealer a "poohoi paarenchan" yakuman for stopping your paarenchan yakuman.
Of course, this is a local rule, and understood differently in different places, so you will have to be asking anyways. And even if you get to play in a place with this rule, seldom does this ever happen...

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Sun May 15, 2011 1:48 pm

It's a bonus point (there's a term this, don't shoot me if it's not kensho-yaku) but not "yaku" proper. Ippatsu and dora can never be counted, the latter is obvious. I can't give the thorough explanation for the former however.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Mon May 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Senechal wrote:It's a bonus point (there's a term this, don't shoot me if it's not kensho-yaku) but not "yaku" proper. Ippatsu and dora can never be counted, the latter is obvious. I can't give the thorough explanation for the former however.
Kensho-Yaku finds nothing, but a nice bit of info comes with Kenshou-Yaku (懸賞役). Nonetheless, ippatsu can be counted.

For Japanese sources that are for it:
http://www.mj-dragon.com/yaku/formal/ippatsu.html
一発の小ネタ
一発は"役"であり、裏ドラは"ドラ"です。その為、リャンハンしばりの場合、「リーチ・ドラ1」はNGですが、「リーチ・一発」はOKですよ。
"A bit about Ippatsu
Ippatsu is a valid "yaku," ura dora is a "dora." Therefore, under ryan han shibari, "Riichi Dora 1" is no good, but "riichi Ippatsu" is okay."

This place also allows it: http://nade-q.main.jp/5dollars/text/mj.htm

This tournament also seems to allow it: http://luna.whitesnow.jp/Notice/rule.html

Now, just to be impartial, here are sources against it:

http://www.geocities.jp/mrtjrt2/ma/ma_goroku3.html
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E4%B8%80%E7% ... %E9%9B%80)
http://ww71.tiki.ne.jp/~gaou/Jyan/yaku1.html

Conclusion? Read the rules of wherever you're playing, and before any doubt ask in time.

EDIT: Btw, incidentally, there seems to be some places where even "riichi houtei" is not allowed under ryan han shibari for the same reason. Probably in the very same places where houtei nomi is not allowed in the first place.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:31 pm

I know that in Akagi DS, Ippatsu does not count towards Ryanhan Shibari. I suppose they are different variant rules sometimes used in some places.