Some new questions; more focused on plays.

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Tang
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Some new questions; more focused on plays.

Post by Tang » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Here I go again...copy and pasted from my other thread since no one seems to be reading it anymore, haha.

I just came across this. If you have a kung, but don\'t choose to take a replacement tile, and use one of the 4 tiles as a chow and the other 3 as a concealed pung in your hand, do you count the 4 tiles as a concealed kung or a pung for the minipoint calculations?

I\'m guessing it\'s however you used it in your hand, so it\'d be counted as a concealed pung rather than a kung?

Decision making time!

Which should I discard? I\'m thinking the 3/8 and maybe hope for some 7s to connect.

Well, I did it my way and I hit both 7s, but I\'m wondering if others would have done the same?

I was unsure what to do. I remember hearing something like \"5 pairs is just 2 pairs away from 7 pairs!\" and I was in that situation. I threw out the 4 and hoped for 3/8 drops. It came out, luckily, but what would you guys have done?

For starting discards, what are generally the best discards to make? Honors then Terminals correct? Unless you have a lot of honors, they are useless? Especially winds that aren\'t prevailing or your seat?

In the case of a lot of honors, I have a lot of trouble deciding what to do with them. It is obvious if a lot of them are the same, but if they are scattered about, it\'s annoying. I start thinking if I could possibly hit a terminal/honor discard win, or aim for 13 orphans. Another thing is, what do you do with a pair of winds that aren\'t prevailing nor seated? I can use it for 2 extra minipoints, but that\'s about it? There aren\'t many hands, that aren\'t Yakumon, that use nonseated/prevailing winds as anything.

With the mentioning of Yakumon...
If you\'re east and you ron, 32k points?
If you\'re east and you Tsumo, 16k/16k/16k which is 48k points?
If you\'re not east and you ron, 16k points?
If you\'re not east and you Tsumo, 16k/8k which is 32k points?

Also, when you have a pair of any dragon, or multiple pairs of them, should you pung it when you have a chance for that yaku? It\'s a give and take kinda situation, if you pung, you get your one yaku however you lose out the chance to Riichi (Yes I already know that Riichi isn\'t always the choice) and your hand becomes open, which makes you lose out on many other hands. Another problem is that you usually have to choose early on, so you can\'t really tell if your hand is heading the way of a good concealed hand, unless it\'s already semi-set up early on. I found that hands that win with a punged dragon aren\'t really worth much unless you get lucky with dora bonuses. Computers ALWAYS pung them though...winds and dragons.

Should you be dropping honors or tiles that don\'t connect? Sometimes I end up having 2/3 dragons if I kept the first one, as I\'m playing a game right now and I just drew two dragons. I could\'ve discarded tiles that currently do not connect (had 3/8 characters).

I haven\'t had enough time to go through the main Riichi section and pick up threads to read thoroughly, so I\'m sorry if this has been discussed previously, I did read a few though. I\'m hoping to get to a decent level by reading some of the threads here and with the help of you guys/gals! #1 thing I\'ve learned, stay level headed and be patient! You can\'t win them all!

Thanks for any replies and help!

Mcgreag
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Some new questions; more focused on plays.

Post by Mcgreag » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:16 pm

It´s yakuman not yakumon, the man part of it means full. It´s the same man as in mangan (you don´t say mongan do you?).

The mini points you get are based on how you decide to use the tiles in the final hand.
Sometimes there might be different ways to organize the final had which will give different yaku and mini points in which case you have to select which way you want them.

Your 5 pairs hand is also close to a 3 (or maybe even 4) hidden pon (san ankou) + maybe all pon (toitoi hou) + all simples (tanyao) for a mangan even without riichi, to beat that with a 7 pairs hand you would need to get a hit on the ura dora.

Non yakuhai winds are an enigma that´s for sure. The main use are in outside hand (chanta) and it´s variations and half flush (honitsu)

Pair in non seat non prevalent wind does not give 2 mini points.

Yakuman is 32.000 total for non east and 48.000 total for east. Doesn´t matter if it´s a tsumo or ron.
For east tsumo it\'s 16.000 per player, for non east tsumo it´s 16.000 for east and 8.000 for the others. For ron it´s the total value.

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Tang wrote:If you have a kung, but don\'t choose to take a replacement tile, and use one of the 4 tiles as a chow and the other 3 as a concealed pung in your hand, do you count the 4 tiles as a concealed kung or a pung for the minipoint calculations?
It\'s a pung. The 4th tile, you said, is part of a chow. Therefore it cannot possibly be a kong, because if it was, you wouldn\'t have that chow.
4649おねがいします。

Tang
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tang » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Alright firstly, sorry for the messed up first screen shot, I bet the people that viewed the thread was confused.
Secondly thanks for the replies, I noticed that I could\'ve been close to a 4 concealed or 3 concealed pungs.
Thirdly, I know it\'s Yakuman, sorry typo, used to typing mon than man.
If you\'re east, you get 48k for yakuman?! Thanks for the clear up!