Confused on scoring for mixed triple chow

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Bashoomba
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Confused on scoring for mixed triple chow

Post by Bashoomba » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:33 am

Hello, I'm rather new to mahjong and was playing a practice game on Mahjong Club when i had 1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 4-bam 5-bam 6-bam EXPOSED and 4-dot 5-dot 6-dot 8-dot concealed. An 8 came around and it did not let me go for the win. Looking over a list of hands, it would appear since i exposed my first two sets that the hand would count as an exposed triple chi worth 1 fan. Do i need all sets to be exposed to count as a mixed tripple chi for the 1 fan? I am uncertain to why the hand was not worth 1 point. The scoring system is taking a while to get used to, but the game sure is fun :D

EDIT: in addition i was not able to call richi, so i assume that the hand was not worth any fan, but i am thoroughly confused as to why after review a list of hands again.

Thanks for any help,

Bash

York1jm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Confused on scoring for mixed triple chow

Post by York1jm » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:04 am

I will try to help you out with this. The reason the game did not allow you to win is because you also had exposed the 1-crak 2-crak 3-crak . In order to have the triple mixed chow open, you can only open the parts of that hand of those chows. Therefore in your case, you can only open the 4-5-6 sequences of each suit and nothing else, the rest of the hand must remain concealed, unless you can get a pon of dragon tiles, your seat wind, or the round wind.

Let me give you an example of another hand that is like this, which is the straight-through. In a straight-through you have 1-9 of one suit and the rest of your hand is whatever. If you were to open your hand and still want the straight through you can only open these parts, the 123 sequence, 456, and 789 sequences, nothing else in your hand can be opened. Unless once again you get a pon of dragon tiles, your seat wind, or the round wind.

Hope that helps clear it up for you. If you have anymore questions please ask.

York1jm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by York1jm » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:08 am

Sorry, forgot about your Riichi question. :D

The reason you were not able to declare Riichi or Reach, is because your hand must be fully concealed in-order to declare Riichi. Your hand can have other fan in it or it cannot, that does not matter. So long as your hand is concealed and you are in tenpai, you can declare Riichi.

Bashoomba
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Bashoomba » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:24 am

Just for my own clarification. If i understand what you are saying in the list of hands where there is an option for certain hands to be "exposed" for them to count as 1 fan only the portions that count toward the hand are allowed to be exposed. so for instance if i was going for pure double chow with 1-dot 2-dot 3-dot 1-dot 2-dot 3-dot exposed, regardless of what else i had the only way to get the 1 fan is from not exposing anything else from my hand unless its melds of dragons or seat/prev. winds. If i am right so far, in the event that i do get a exposed pon of dragons do i get 1 fan for the dragons and 1 for the exposed "pure double chow" or just 1 for the dragons since i exposed additional tiles other than the "pure double chow"? I guess the question is are the pon/kan of dragons or seat/prev. winds an exception to the "only exposed parts can be part of the attempted hand" rule or does the hand then overall give me 1 fan since i exposed extra tiles? Thanks for your help, your response was very helpful.

2) in my first example if i had just opened 4-bam 5-bam 6-bam and had the rest concealed would it still count as an open/exposed triple chow since my only open tiles were part of that hand?

Thanks again

Bash

York1jm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by York1jm » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:39 am

-Problem with the Pure double chow is that can never be opened, it must always be concealed or it does not count as a fan.

-As for the first example you gave, if had just not opened the 1-crak 2-crak 3-crak , you would of been able to get the point. You opening the 4-bam 5-bam 6-bam and the 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak was okay. You could have even opened the 4-dot 5-dot 6-dot

Bashoomba
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Bashoomba » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:22 am

Ah, my apologies... I miss read about the pure double chow. My only remaining question is say my winning hand is 4-dot 5-dot 6-dot 4-bam 5-bam 6-bam 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak red-dra red-dra red-dra 9-bam 9-bam . If i finished with 4-dot 5-dot 6-dot red-dra red-dra red-dra exposed. Would i receive 1fan for the dragon pon and 1 fan for the mixed triple chow(exposed) or does the fact that i called the red dragons void the fan for the mixed triple since i exposed tiles other than from that mixed triple chow specific hand? If i am not mistaken the dragon pon alone would give me 1 fan and allow me to go out since my hand met the winning requirements, however do i still get to keep 1 fan for the exposed mixed triple chow in this case? I'm sorry if i am being a bother.

Thanks for responding, its very appreciated

EDIT: it would appear in your first response to my thread the answer to my question is "yes" i would receive the 1 fan from the dragon pon and 1 fan from the mixed triple chow. If i am mistaken in my reading of your post i apologize.

Bash

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:47 am

Are you sure about that, Yorkjim? I had never heard of such restriction.

Bashoomba, had you discarded and 8-pin earlier in the hand?

York1jm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by York1jm » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:06 pm

With that form of your hand you should get both fan, 1 for the dragon tile and another for your mixed triple chow.

As for the restriction, I am relativity sure these are the only two ways you can open that hand. However, I could be mistaken. But I am pretty sure that is the case with that hand. If I am wrong, please someone correct me. Thanks. :)

Bashoomba
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Bashoomba » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:42 pm

@referee - Hi, i am actually unsure to your question. Recalling back i do not believe i had discarded an 8d earlier in the game. However if the restriction listed by york1jm is not a rule, then the likely answer is that i had discarded one and simply do not recall doing so.

@york1jm, Thank you for the response, i really appreciate the time you have taken to help me with this problem of mine.

Any updates on if the restriction on opening your hand is true would be appreciated. I'll try and test it later online if i can acquire a hand i can try it with.

thanks for any updates

Bash!

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Bashoomba wrote: Any updates on if the restriction on opening your hand is true would be appreciated.
thanks for any updates
http://sloperama.com/mjfaq/yaku/yaku.htm
4649おねがいします。

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:26 pm

I see many erroneous informations here.

When you have an open hand, it doesn't matter which part of the hand is exposed.
If you have 1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 4-bam 5-bam 6-bam EXPOSED and 4-dot 5-dot 6-dot 8-dot concealed, you have a valid open mixed triple chow worthing 1 han and granting you the yaku.

I see only two explanation why you couldn't win with that hand:
1) If you had previously discarded a 8 dot, you are furiten and so can not win on a discard. In this case, you can still win if you draw the winning tile yourself.
2) If it's the fifth continuance and the "ryan han shibari" rule is used, there will be a 2 han minimum for going out. Here you have only 1 han.
(The more probable reason is the #1: furiten.)

Why you can't riichi is more simple, to call riichi you need to be waiting (tenpai) on a concealed hand. Here your hand is not concealed.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Bashoomba
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Bashoomba » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks for the response. Being that the game was doing 1 hand practice rounds, i would have to agree that i must have discarded the 8-dot previously and did not notice. Thank you for the clarifications. Much appreciated.

Bash