The Toughest Yakus/Yakumans...

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

The Toughest Yakus/Yakumans...

Post by Goldeneye » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:02 pm

So there's been some discussion on things like San Kan Tsu, which is a yaku that is the rarest non-yakuman yaku, so let's discuss the toughest yakus/yakumans some more.

I hear statistically that the toughest non-yakuman (standard) yaku are these (in no particular order):
San Kan Tsu
Chan Kan
Ryan Pei Kou
Honroutou
Sanshoku Doukou
Daburu Riichi
Shou San Gen

Statistically, the toughest (standard) Yakuman are believed to be the following (in no particular order):
Suu Kan Tsu
Tenhou
Chihou
Chuuren Poutou
Chinroutou
Ryuu Ii Sou
Dai Suu Shi

*Standard Yaku/yakuman are patterns which are commonly recognized and stand on their own (Daichisei is not "standard" as it is Tsuu Ii Sou and Chii Toi Tsu and Suu Ren Kou isn't recognized everywhere)

Now, there may be some disagreements to this list, but it is based on statistics.

As for making the particular yaku/yakuman in question...

So far, out of my won hands in JRM, there has only been 1 Chan Kan, 4 Daburu Riichi, 3 Honroutou, 4 Shou San Gen, 1 Sanshoku Doukou - I've yet to make San Kan Tsu or Ryan Pei Kou. In addition, I made 1 Nagashi Mangan (which isn't listed above as it isn't recognized everywhere, or it could be Baiman instead of Mangan) and I've ignored anything that I made in 3-player (even tho I've not hit any of these in 3-player, since I've only played a 3 games in 3-player).

I've yet to make any of the yakuman on that list, however, I was tenpai for Ryuu Ii Sou until I fed into someone's Mangan (or something) and I made a Suu Ren Kou (in 3-player), which isn't a yakuman where I got it.

Aduil100
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: The Toughest Yakus/Yakumans...

Post by Aduil100 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:55 am

I've only been tenpai for chuurenpoto on that yakuman list and didn't get it unfortunately. BTW we have to play on Janryumon sometime... don't be scared of my 九段 rank.. I'm really not a scary guy at all! :D jkjk

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:56 pm

I only find the Kantsu yaku to be tough as I don't kan everything without thinking. Other yaku just come in naturally in time. My first chuurenpoutou was a pure one. And well, other yaku like chii hou or tenhou you just have to wait them out.
Aduil100 wrote:I've only been tenpai for chuurenpoto on that yakuman list and didn't get it unfortunately. BTW we have to play on Janryumon sometime... don't be scared of my 九段 rank.. I'm really not a scary guy at all! :D jkjk
Since 9dan is something obtainable in the long run by anyone with at least an average of 2.4 (or people who farm in ippan), I fear players by rate rather than rank. 9dan players with stats like 26-25-25-24 (r1500P) aren't that scary. Now, Rate 1800P+ guys are scary. jk

Aduil100
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Aduil100 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:28 am

Haha well I'm 9-dan with... 29-26-25-20 current rating is 1656p highest was 1770p? Something like that. But yeah no one should really be scary because it is mahjong and anyone can beat anyone if its not say over 1,000 hanchan.

ghostdragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ghostdragon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 am

for yaku, only san kan tsu and nagashi mangan i never got it. i never got even one of these toughest yakuman. only tenpai on ryu i sou once. i agree that san kan tsu an d suu kan tsu is the most difficult .

ghostdragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ghostdragon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:38 am

Aduil100 wrote:I've only been tenpai for chuurenpoto on that yakuman list and didn't get it unfortunately. BTW we have to play on Janryumon sometime... don't be scared of my 九段 rank.. I'm really not a scary guy at all! :D jkjk
i think the most difficult part to get chuurenpoto is to get 1 and 9 tile. if you have completed three of each 1 and 9 tile, the chance to get chuurenpoto is big. If my starting hand has had 111 and 999 (better have several simple tile) i will go on to achieve chuurenpoto.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:49 am

Sanshoku Doukou get (at least I salvaged honor) http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2011080512gm-0 ... tw=1&ts=12

You gotta excuse the bad play. The tiles were making fun of me the whole game.

PS: Please excuse the nitpicker in me, but the plural forms of "yaku" and "yakuman" are "yaku" and "yakuman", resp. Thank you. :)