Yakuman Club

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:Yakuman Club

Post by Barticle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Barticle wrote:I´m still yet to make my first wind yakuman [...]
I think I must have a little of Flandre´s magic... I decided to have "just one more game..." before going to bed on Tuesday and got a Shou Suu Shii! :woohoo:

I had to take a risk by dropping a suit pair from my hand but the gamble paid off.

Then on my second game yesterday I got a Suu An Kou. Made a couple of nice Toi-Toi Honroutou hands too. So overall my day-off from work was quite productive! :laugh:

sevenup
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by sevenup » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:00 pm

I have done Shousuushii without melding it at toupai-oh. I may have the file, but unfortunately, I do not remember when I did that! Ahhhhh!

But Congrats on all the people who had the grand-slams!

Maho
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Maho » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:36 pm

Got my first yakuman friday night, which is also the first in the group i play with, tsumo for a Suu Ankou :

Got really lucky that night with this and three hannemans in two games, for the first use of my new saki set and new table, i guess that\'s a good start ^^

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:48 pm

does anyone else find that photo mildly creepy? If those are your hands beneath the table, whose hands are taking the photo <<;;.....

I\'ve made a Kazoe and a DaiSanGen in 3p Tenhou.

The Kazoe was sweet, Guy across from me had reached waiting on 7p. I Kan\'d 7p (and could\'ve had SuuAnKou had I tsumo\'d) instead I ended up with

Riichi (1) + SanAnKou(2) + ToiToiHou(2) + Haku(1) + Dora(5) (Kan\'d 7p and a North, 3player~) + AkaDora(1) + UraDora (4) (a 6p showed up as KanUraDora ^^;...)

Total: 60 fu 16 han. Kazoe Yakuman.

The DaiSanGen was again, ruled by Kan\'s.

I\'m dealer, West throws a Chun before I have two of them, luckily I tsumo a chun right after he discards it. At this point I have two of each.
3 draws later, West discards a hatsu, I call.
4 draws later west reaches, and I\'m set for shou san gen as I\'ve drawn another haku in the meantime. Next draw I pull a Chun. DAISANGEN, is set. ... but i\'m not tempai -_-;.
Two draws later, west throws a haku, I Kan on it to reach tempai. Now waiting with 4567s for a 4s or 7s pair.
Two draws later, South Kan\'s his 9p. Draws my 7s from the dead wall, and discards it.
Ron. Dealer DaiSanGen.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:16 am

Once I got daisangen on Toupaiou, but I don\'t have the screenshot to prove it.

Here is something I got on a little 1-player game I made myself, of all places. Although doing this on a game you made yourself is like kissing your sister...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue May 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Quick bump on this thread to see if we have any new members - would any new players like to share experiences of their first yakuman?

I got tenpai on Tsuuiisou (all honours) recently. Noooo! :dry: So close... Would love to make that beautiful hand.

Mcgreag
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Mcgreag » Tue May 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Still no yakuman in real play. Got it a few times against the computer but that doesn\'t really count.

Closest was a tempai for a hand that depending on the winning tile and how it was drawn (tsumo/ron) could become either a Suuankou or Daisangen or both or worst case just a baiman.

But in the end I got neither, we checked afterwards and all my winning tiles except one was in the dead wall and that one was the 4th rinshan tile...

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by azn86.jedi » Wed May 05, 2010 11:52 am

I\'ve gotten a Suuankou tsumo on gamedesign.jp
several hanemans / baimans involving rinshan kaihou (but no crazy kazoe yakumans)

Got close...2/3 shanten from a daisangen in real life.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Tue May 11, 2010 1:44 pm

I\'ve got a couple playing against the computer. Kukoshimusou at saki-anime.com and Suu Ankou at gamedesign.jp

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Yakuman Club

Post by azn86.jedi » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:28 am

correct me if i am wrong on this... i think i made a kazoe yakuman over the weekend while playing with some friends...
Here's what I got:
green-dra green-dra green-dra (open, called from right)
:west :west :west :west (open, called from right)
9-dot 9-dot 9-dot (open, called from opposite)
white-dra white-dra white-dra white-dra (open, called from right)
red-dra , tsumo red-dra

Dora indicators were 9-bam green-dra 2-crak 8-dot :south

So, if my memory serves me right, my hand consists of :
Shousangen- 4 han
toitoi- 2 han
dora x9 = 9 han
total = 15 han therefore kazoe yakuman.

Now....i've read that it's an abortive draw when 4 kans are declared and no one has won. there are 5 dora indicators and 4 kan dora indicators. I am wondering at this point whether the game ends upon the declaration of the 4th kan or the game ends if someone declares a 5th kan?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:48 am

azn86.jedi wrote:Shousangen- 4 han
toitoi- 2 han
dora x9 = 9 han
total = 15 han therefore kazoe yakuman.
Sweet hand. 8) You have Honrōtō (all terminals & honours) and Honitsu as well, making an epic 19 han in total! So you easily have the 13 required for a counted yakuman, if permitted under your local rules.
Now....i've read that it's an abortive draw when 4 kans are declared and no one has won. there are 5 dora indicators and 4 kan dora indicators. I am wondering at this point whether the game ends upon the declaration of the 4th kan or the game ends if someone declares a 5th kan?
I think usually the hand ends if no-one rons the discard after the fourth kong is made, except in the hugely rare situation of one player having all four of them in which case they play on in the hope of completing their pair/hand and getting the yakuman (but no further kongs can be declared).

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by azn86.jedi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:17 am

Barticle wrote:Sweet hand. 8) You have Honrōtō (all terminals & honours) and Honitsu as well, making an epic 19 han in total! So you easily have the 13 required for a counted yakuman, if permitted under your local rules.
Wow cool... i didn't see i had those yaku as well.... awesomeness XD
Hmm..... why wouldn't a kazoe yakuman be allowed in some places? is it because it can be relatively "easier" to get one rather than a distinct yakuman hand (like daisuushi, daisangen, kokushi musou, etc)?
I think usually the hand ends if no-one rons the discard after the fourth kong is made, except in the hugely rare situation of one player having all four of them in which case they play on in the hope of completing their pair/hand and getting the yakuman (but no further kongs can be declared).
well here's the situation. there were 4 kans called including the 2 i have for several go arounds before i tsumo the second chun to make up my pair....and no one had won off anyone else's discard. does that mean then the round should have been a draw?

I've also chanced upon this vid of a snippet of some old looking japanese movie involving a young punk going up against this older guy (i'm assuming like a yakuza boss). In the vid the young punk had called for 4 kans in the one turn and was waiting for a pair at the end. The person going after him called a 5th kan, thus ending the round.

So, going by what you're saying the round is a draw if somone else calls a kan after the 4 have been made by others? or does it vary according to local rules again?

Mcgreag
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Mcgreag » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:18 am

azn86.jedi wrote: Wow cool... i didn't see i had those yaku as well.... awesomeness XD
Hmm..... why wouldn't a kazoe yakuman be allowed in some places? is it because it can be relatively "easier" to get one rather than a distinct yakuman hand (like daisuushi, daisangen, kokushi musou, etc)?
In some place you are limited to Sanbaiman on counted hands, only the special hands allow you to reach yakuman.
well here's the situation. there were 4 kans called including the 2 i have for several go arounds before i tsumo the second chun to make up my pair....and no one had won off anyone else's discard. does that mean then the round should have been a draw?
Yes when the 4th kan is declared (and not all by the same player) the round will end in an abortive draw if none can win on the tile that this player discards. Same as with 4 riichi.
I've also chanced upon this vid of a snippet of some old looking japanese movie involving a young punk going up against this older guy (i'm assuming like a yakuza boss). In the vid the young punk had called for 4 kans in the one turn and was waiting for a pair at the end. The person going after him called a 5th kan, thus ending the round.

So, going by what you're saying the round is a draw if somone else calls a kan after the 4 have been made by others? or does it vary according to local rules again?
Rules have changed over the years and there are lots of local house rules. In one mahjong anime that takes place in the 40-50s (Legendary Gambler Tetsuka) they even had a rule that declearing the 4th kan to abort the game will have presidence over someone wining on the same tile.

But with current general rules in that yakuza situation the other player would not been allowed to make that 5th kan.

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by azn86.jedi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:30 am

In that case.... then my hand is invalid then... because i completed my hand after the 4th kan was made (i self picked)

>__<

so continues the curse with making a hand related to the san gen pai.....

So to make it absolutely clear it's is the general accepted rule today (in all if not most places) that the round ends when the 4th kan is made and no one wins off the discard of the person who made the kan?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:24 pm

azn86.jedi wrote:..... why wouldn't a kazoe yakuman be allowed in some places? is it because it can be relatively "easier" to get one rather than a distinct yakuman hand (like daisuushi, daisangen, kokushi musou, etc)?
If you check back to April 2009 in this thread you'll see that my very first yakuman was a counted one (I had more dora than you too!) but I haven't made a kazoe yakuman again since then.

In terms of rarity, even sanbaiman hands (11-12 han) occur less frequently than some of the named yakuman hands.
It's not a situation you're going to see every day, but you need to have a rule just in case! The online English documentation for Four Winds Mahjong says that the declaration of a fifth kong in Japanese mahjong when someone is going for Sū Kantsu will force a drawn hand. The fifth kong must always either immediately end the hand or be disallowed of course as there would be no more supplement tiles and kan dora indicators in the dead wall.

Do you have a link to the clip BTW?
azn86.jedi wrote:So to make it absolutely clear it's is the general accepted rule today (in all if not most places) that the round ends when the 4th kan is made and no one wins off the discard of the person who made the kan?
Looking in one Japanese book the abortive draws are listed as "local rules" (therefore optional, although the same applies to other common features like Ippatsu and kan/ura dora). A summary of a specific rule-set in the back of another gives them as nashi (disallowed). They're just one of those things (those many things) which you need to agree before play.

(I would hate to deny you your monster hand, although my opinion might differ if I was one of your opponents when you made it!)