Tournament training and strategies

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Tournament training and strategies

Post by WorTeX » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:01 am

Hey guys, just wondering, do you have any suggestions about a training program for tournaments? I\'m (possibly) going to Cherry Blossom Tournament in less than two weeks, and I need to polish my skills to the finest before that.

Are there any useful things I should remember to practice beforehand?

Do you have suggestions for a tournament strategy?

Any ideas about a training schedule?

Currently I am thinking of using my pre-made 10-page strategy guide which I made for Reach Austria tournament(it\'s attached to this post I think), and from today on, will start playing with my SNES Emulator + Mahjong Hanjouki which will provide me the best game speed.

please post :) [file name=Reach_Austria_Tournament_Battle_Plan2.doc size=67584]http://www.reachmahjong.com/home/images ... _Plan2.doc[/file]

Bunta
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Tournament training and strategies

Post by Bunta » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:50 pm

:ohmy:

This is a nice work. I guess you have too much time :lol:

I´ll be in the netherlands too and i played the last tournament there. So i have to agree to your battle plan. This is quite useful, but i guess its no good to have a strategy for every single hand in a game.
I personally like to change my game play depending to my opponents. Look in the riichi ranking and see who is a up there and remember their names. (like i know your name!)
Then keep your first hands concealed, unlike you have a mangan, and see what happens.
Some players play nearly every hand open and go for toitoi and stuff like that. If that happens, riichi with a good wait and a hand worth it.
If you feel your opponents are weak, be agressiv and play open yourself.
If your opponents are strong, play safe and wait for a good chance to trap them, or play hands without reaching.

Helpful is playing your hand unorganised, if you can do it, especailly against strong players who see where your tile in the hand was, but there are only a small amount of them, so not so important.
More important is patience! Cuz there are a lot players who open up there hand and maybe finish it before you do. So wait until a hand is big and reach cuz
Much more important is the lack of them to read the board, so wait for a tile they cant use and RON. After that they wont open their hands as quickly and you can play your game.

I guess thats all i have to say.

One thing, i dont train especially for a tournament cuz i think there is nothing you can train (only the rules like tanyao closed and red fives and stuff like that).

Looking forward to meet you there and maybe we play against each other. But there are nearly 60 players so we have to see.