What?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Esh
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

What?

Post by Esh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:54 am

During South round, the dealer always repeats when a Draw Hand occurs. Add a repeat stick and repeat the dealer.
Taken from Ryan Morris\'s page.

I didn\'t want to bother him with an Email, so I\'ll ask you guys.

Is this true?

TobiasOlsen
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:What?

Post by TobiasOlsen » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:00 pm

In most versions of riichi, no.

I know it used to be a rule here to avoid ending the game with draw sticks and riichi sticks still on the table, but there was really no reason for it, since there are fine rules for where the riichi stick goes, and the draw sticks have not been paid by anyone, so they don\'t matter anyway. Making the rule be there for all players and not just the last was because the last player would otherwise have an advantage. This rule will make south rounds take longer than otherwise, and it provides no real benefit in my oppinion.

(As a side note, it might be mentioned that mahjongtime.com has managed to implement the rules for when east stays as follows: \"When a hand ends, if east is in tenpai, east stays\". This means that even if someone else wins a hand, east stays as long as that person is in tenpai. Talk about possibility of long games!)

oxoboxo
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:What?

Post by oxoboxo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:24 pm

Hmmm, well in my dorm, our house rules are that in draws on east round, dealer always rotates, and on south round, if its a draw and dealer is tenpai, then he stays dealer. I think it is to give people in 3rd and 4th place a chance to win some more hands before the last game. either way, having dealer stay dealer if it\'s a draw is required, i would think it\'d be best on the south round.