Greetings from a newbie with questions :)

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

carl
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Greetings from a newbie with questions :)

Post by carl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:51 am

The order of the winds is E,S,W,N. if the N was the dora indicator(the \"turned tile on the mountain\" as you called it), the dora was E and you had 3 of them.

by the way, the dragons go red, white, greenin case you didnt know.

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:07 am

Makes sense.

Well this game you send really helps, specially with the end game scoring. :) Which is still mighty confusing :(

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 am

Hi

I am a bit confused (again) about the yaku need (Fan wise).

After reading the FAQ from Tom (thx for that mate, very useful :) ), I manage to get a win but then... a strange situation happened. Here\'s my hand:

1-bam 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam
plus the following stolen
3-dot 4-dot 5-dot 1-dot 2-dot 3-dot 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak

Now, according to my latest knowledge, and since this was exposed, I had a 3 Fan hand, All Chows + Double Mixed Chow. Are 3 Fans not enough for a Ron Yaku with Exposed?!

Cheers

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:27 pm

This hand have no fan/yaku (so you cant win) because:
a) its all chows, but it have to be conceald to be pinfu (thats this yaku name); (and it have to be gaind through two-sided wait)
b) I\'m not sure which yaku you mean by double mixed chow, probably the one its used in chinese rules. In riichi mahjong for two chi with same numbers but in different suits, you dont get yaku. (only for 3 chow with same numbers in all 3 suits you get yaku called sanshoku)

So be carefull and dont mix chinese combinations with japanese yaku

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Alban,
You didn\'t read the FAQ thoroughly enough. Both pinfu and iipeiko must be concealed. That means, no exposures allowed prior to declaring mahjong.
Some computer games allow you to make blunders that are possible to make in real life games. When you make a blunder (\"chonbo\"), you are required to pay a penalty. Many computer games do not permit you to make a penalty mistake.
4649おねがいします。

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks guys for the enlightment :)

Chinese, Japanese... I\'ve heard about american Mahjong... hard to keep track... specially after I know now that the Fan values and combinations change in China every year.

Well, while I was playing today, the CPU ron\'d his left with an exposed Wind Pan, so I\'m guessing as long as I keep stealing honours I\'ll be safe...

Bit frustrated :) was 2 tiles away this afternoon from a concealed 13 Orphans... wouldn\'t THAT be a joke?! Me, with a 13 Orphans win? :P

Cheers

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:55 pm

alban lusitanae wrote:Chinese, Japanese... I\'ve heard about american Mahjong... hard to keep track... specially after I know now that the Fan values and combinations change in China every year.
No, that\'s wrong. I don\'t know which Chinese variant you\'re thinking of, but none of the Chinese variants changes every year. The American variant uses a list of hands that changes every year. It\'s the only variant that does that.
Here on this board, the topic under discussion is Japanese. So unless specified otherwise, you can always assume we\'re talking about the Japanese game here.
Well, while I was playing today, the CPU ron\'d his left with an exposed Wind Pan, so I\'m guessing as long as I keep stealing honours I\'ll be safe...
That\'s the wrong conclusion to draw from that.
Dragons are automatic yaku. But only the round wind and your seat wind qualify your hand for a win. The other two winds are not yaku.
4649おねがいします。

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:21 am

The American variant uses a list of hands that changes every year. It\'s the only variant that does that.
Ok, I misheard then, the person might have been talking of the american one.
That\'s the wrong conclusion to draw from that.
Dragons are automatic yaku. But only the round wind and your seat wind qualify your hand for a win. The other two winds are not yaku.
Then it\'s the game\'s fault / bug on that one. :)
It was East 2, meaning the upper player / dealer was east
and I was down, meaning west, having north on my left and south on my right. Dealer pan\'d on a north wind and got yaku, didn\'t steal anything else. Shouldn\'t he be allowed only east, by the rules? Maybe I\'m making a confusion again...

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:18 pm

When you are West, the player at your right is North and the player at your left is South. Read FAQ 20K on my site.

And you haven\'t told us enough about your dealer\'s hand and what he was doing.
4649おねがいします。

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:25 pm

That contradicts the positioning on Shirluban\'s Mahjong Competition Rules PDF, page 58...

But point is, the guy Pon\'d North ( :north :north :north ) being East, and then ron\'d one of the players. He had no more honors, a 1-crak 2-crak 3-crak, a pair of 1-bam 1-bam, 2-dot 3-dot 4-dot and he ron\'d the guy for a 8-dot for a 6-dot 7-dot 8-dot sequence. :(

As far as I can tell I see no reason why we should be allowed a Yaku :(

EDIT: this game does not allow penalties

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Assuming you have this absolutely correct, it\'s still possible that he won using one of the situational Yaku. These include things like winning on the final tile or robbing a quad.

It\'s also not inconceivable that the game had been extended into the north round (e.g. if nobody had scored over 30,000) and that north was in fact the round wind. Depends on the rules.

It\'s extremely unlikely that an arcade machine would screw up on something like this. On the other hand, it\'s not all that unusual for even experienced players to misread the tiles once in a while.

carl
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by carl » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:10 pm

thats happened to me before on a DS game, i wasnt paying attention to the tile count and was given an opportunity to ron when i shouldnt have been able to. found out it was haitei when it showed the scoring for the round.

i just checked that game site and it doesnt show the walls like tenhou or have a tile countdown like the other sites, so thats probably what happened.

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Fair enough, I don\'t know enough of the Yaku requirements and I can\'t remember if he won on the final tile. So I\'ll just keep playing, if it happens again, I\'ll flag it :)

BTW, tried to check a store today for a Mahjong set.

Can you believe they tried to sell me a Mahjong set with tiles not even 1/4 inch thick for 138€ ($185)?! The tiles don\'t even stand!! Unbelievable really... :angry:

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi guys

Another weird situation :) I hope this one is a mistake of mine. But I\'m learning.

I stole the following:

red-dra red-dra red-dra 4-bam 5-bam 6-bam 3-dot 4-dot 5-dot

I have the following in my hand

3-bam 4-bam 7-bam 7-bam

I discarded the following:

2-dot 6-crak :west green-dra 9-crak white-dra 4-dot 2-bam 4-crak 9-dot 2-crak 8-bam 4-dot 9-bam 6-dot

Guy on my left has 5-bam. I tried to ron (game gives me option, as well as a Chii) and then flag a Furiten.

Ok... I was Furiten on the 2-bam, but on 5-bam? :unsure:

Monadology
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Monadology » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:18 pm

Furiten is in effect regardless of what the tile you ron on is as long as one of the tiles of your wait (in this case a 2/5 wait) is in your discard. That two prevents you from a completing your hand on the five.

So open waits are tricky, you have to watch out for that. Really though, with a bit of caution it\'s not that hard to avoid. Keep the rule in mind and don\'t be too wishywashy about your waits and it shouldn\'t happen.