Washizu Mahjong

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Denizar
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Washizu Mahjong

Post by Denizar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi everyone!

All the Akagi fans out there surely know what I mean by Washizu Mahjong. I\'ve been interested in this type of game since the day I watched Akagi, but contrary to my research, I couldn\'t find any information on it...

I recently started a website with the intention of spreading Riichi in Turkey. The website is mainly Turkish but I am willing to include English content too. I bought an official Washizu Mahjong Akagi set from Japan and took some photos of it. You can check it out here:

http://www.ibumahjong.com/index.php?opt ... er&lang=en

We will soon play with this set and when we do so, I\'ll write all about it here.

deadbrain
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Washizu Mahjong

Post by deadbrain » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi and grats for your new set!
Am I wrong or those tiles are smaller than the japanese standard size?
If I recall right I\'ve seen one of those sets earlier and I was disappointed by its size (even if I wanted one so bad).
I look forward to see some \"in action\" pictures, dude!

Denizar
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Denizar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks!

Oh, there is also a mini set, thats probably the one you came across. This tiles of this set are standard, maybe 1 or 2 mm thinner at most.
I look forward to see some \"in action\" pictures, dude!
And I can\'t wait to play with these tiles =)

Esh
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Esh » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:35 am

Wow, I\'m impressed with those tiles. They did a really good job. I thought even though the tiles were transparent, I\'d have difficulty seeing what the other people had like in the anime. But even in the shot where the tiles were far away, I was able to perfectly see the hand. Those are high quality indeed.

Also, nice sight, but there\'s a slight oversight. When you mention the Green 1 pin tiles in some sets, you make a comment \"There is no green in this set\". Not even the bamboo tiles?!? Haha, but like I said, it\'s a very SLIGHT oversight. Just something I noticed offhand.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:53 am

I would also really like to get a set of Washizu tiles.

July
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by July » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:57 am

I\'d like to see some pictures as well! If you can\'t set up a table, maybe you could draw out of a bag or something?

Denizar
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Denizar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:55 am

Esh wrote:Wow, I\'m impressed with those tiles. They did a really good job. I thought even though the tiles were transparent, I\'d have difficulty seeing what the other people had like in the anime. But even in the shot where the tiles were far away, I was able to perfectly see the hand. Those are high quality indeed.

Also, nice sight, but there\'s a slight oversight. When you mention the Green 1 pin tiles in some sets, you make a comment "There is no green in this set". Not even the bamboo tiles?!? Haha, but like I said, it\'s a very SLIGHT oversight. Just something I noticed offhand.
Thanks for mentioning that =) I think its better now. The tiles are indeed very easy to see from the backs, especially the hand of the player sitting in front of you is crystal clear. It is however a little more difficult to see the tiles to your left and right, but I believe that was because I tried it on a playing mat which is very small. When I make the table it will at least be 80cm squared and the hands to your left and right will be further away, which means you can see more of their backs then their sides. In any case, you can make out which tile is which without having to lean down or anything like that. =)
I\'d like to see some pictures as well! If you can\'t set up a table, maybe you could draw out of a bag or something?
Yeah, the set comes with a bag for that purpose, but using it is very troublesome. First of all, where will you place it? If you put it on the table it makes it hard to play, if you pass it around its time consuming. Whatsmore, the tiles inside can be sometimes seen... Of course its possible to play if you don\'t have any other options though.

For those who also want to get a Washizu set, I\'d advise waiting for me to try and play a game. The game looks very strategic in Akagi, but it might turn out not to be that way in a real game. Once I play, I\'ll tell you how it goes =)

Umm, lastly, we\'re going to be setting up the play like in Akagi with two sides, in other words two main players facing each other with their partners to their right. Also, of course something of value is going to be riding on this game, otherwise taking risks would be easy which is something that will ruin this type of game in my opinion B)

What do you guys think? Can this game be played with four individual players like a standard game? Or would you too, keep it the way it was set up in Akagi?

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 am

As for making a Washizu set: you don\'t really need transparent tiles, only tiles which are engraved on both front and back.

July
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by July » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Denizar wrote:Also, of course something of value is going to be riding on this game, otherwise taking risks would be easy which is something that will ruin this type of game in my opinion B)
I know a guy who works in a hospital... I could ask him about getting you one of those blood thingies. :laugh:

Denizar
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Denizar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:12 pm

July wrote:
Denizar wrote:Also, of course something of value is going to be riding on this game, otherwise taking risks would be easy which is something that will ruin this type of game in my opinion B)
I know a guy who works in a hospital... I could ask him about getting you one of those blood thingies. :laugh:
That would be awesome indeed =) If I\'m going to die, let it be from Maajyan! =)

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:49 pm

How long does it take you to play a game? Fukumoto (the author) was saying that it took him over 2.5 hours to play a whole hanchan.