Mahjong Manners

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

deJENNerate
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Mahjong Manners

Post by deJENNerate » Fri May 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Hey Guys!

This thread was inspired by Shintaro Kamimura\'s column, Shin\'s Eye.

Read the latest one here!

July
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Re:Mahjong Manners

Post by July » Sat May 02, 2009 3:34 am

I\'ve got a few questions. First: Is this advice on shifting the \"mountain\" for the dealer only, or do you set up a sort of a diamond shape?

Second: So, the first king\'s wall draw should be physically removed and placed off to the side to remove the risk of it falling off?

Mostly I\'m just a bit confused about the wording. I\'m glad to be able to read things like this so that I won\'t look like an idiot if I ever end up playing in an actual parlor, though!

Looper
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Looper » Sun May 03, 2009 4:46 am

Aside from some of those technical points, it seems like a lot of good mahjong etiquette comes down to \"don\'t be a sore loser\". That\'s something anyone can appreciate.

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Mon May 04, 2009 6:49 am

Great article (Part about “bones” is a little confusing, better word would be “counting sticks” (imho).)
I was always wondering why this tile from deadwall is putted down, while watching games on youtube. I have one more observation, that every tile player draws, he puts it on his hand tiles first, then discards (even when tsumogiri), and then he put it to the hand. Is it part of mahjong etiquette also?

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Mon May 04, 2009 5:03 pm

I\'m curious about that too. I\'d always assumed that was just for the TV cameras so that the audience can see the draws.

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Tue May 05, 2009 2:16 pm

Interesting thread...
July wrote:I\'ve got a few questions. First: Is this advice on shifting the "mountain" for the dealer only, or do you set up a sort of a diamond shape?
You set up a sort of diamond shape, although not everybody does that here in Hiroshima.

Nor do people keep their discard rows to the stated length around here. How long you let your row get before making a second row is pretty much up to you (within reason)! We don\'t remove the end tile from the back of the wall either. Perhaps Hiroshima folk are slackers!

However, I agree with what Kamimura-san says about manners. Good manners should be universal. But, as I said elsewhere, mahjong is a great test, or revealer, of character.

As for putting tiles on the hand, discarding, and then placing the tile in the hand... I think that is probably good manners too. There is nothing worse than a player who sorts his tiles FIRST and keeps everybody waiting for him to discard... You should know what you are going to discard most of the time, discard it then sort out your tiles.

Cheers!

David H

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Wed May 06, 2009 1:35 am

chalwa wrote:I was always wondering why this tile from deadwall is putted down
If you mean the tile atop the very last stack of the wall, it\'s put down to make the back end of the wall look VERY different from the front end. If you should accidentally reach for the wrong end of the wall, when you see two tiles lying on the table, it looks "wrong" and makes you realize you\'re at the wrong end.
I have one more observation, that every tile player draws, he puts it on his hand tiles first, then discards (even when tsumogiri), and then he put it to the hand. Is it part of mahjong etiquette also?
It is part of television etiquette. It\'s done for TV viewer-friendliness.
4649おねがいします。

oxoboxo
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by oxoboxo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:35 pm

I also thought that if you put every tsumo into or on your hand, it helps to show a solid kind of \'poker face\'; just in case you have been waiting for a single tile, you don\'t show that by quickly discarding your draws without a second thought :laugh:

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm

Yes, on the question of \"poker face\", if you pull a tile from the wall which is the same as one in your hand that you want to discard, then usually you discard the one in your hand and not the one you pulled from the wall. I say usually, not always. ;-)

oxoboxo
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by oxoboxo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:46 pm

haha I also think thats why some pros play around with their tiles, switching them back and forth after they draw! :laugh:

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gemma » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:44 am

I play with my tiles a lot and I think that annoys people at tournaments! :side:

Live
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Live » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:46 pm

gemma wrote:I play with my tiles a lot and I think that annoys people at tournaments! :side:
Annoy them, break their concentration! :evil:

FixxeR
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FixxeR » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:02 am

I kinda agree about throwing score sticks when making payments, but what about overly dramatized riichi announcements? Is throwing scoring sticks considered rude in that case? :P

Edit: fixed my message a bit

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:44 am

In some house rules, there is a \"ron on riichi\" yaku, actually.

Live
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Live » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:46 am

Robert wrote:In some house rules, there is a "ron on riichi" yaku, actually.
on JanRyuMon i noticed that after one calls "riichi" the pc waits for the next effettive turn before effectively placing the riichi stick on the table, so if someone calls ron on your riichi you don\'t pay those 1000 points.
Or at least, it should be like this: i\'ll check next time i see it. :)