Kazoe Yakuman

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Kazoe Yakuman

Post by or2az » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:27 pm

All I know is that it isn't linked to ippatsu, three turns later, the wild card still works.
I don't believe this is correct.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:31 pm

do you mean it only becomes a wild card if it meets both requirements: after riichi and getting an ippatsu as well?
Yes, the wild card effect is only valid in the very next turn after riichi which means you also get ippatsu as a bonus (which is the same as it being a requirement)
Here are 2 instances of it in action.
Note Barticles comment just after the 1st one regarding an opponents chi/pon.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53059&start=15#p56478
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52824#p57082

BailandoTotoro
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BailandoTotoro » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Oh ok. Got ya! Thanks Senechal!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:29 am

See also my pics and comments here: http://www.reachmahjong.com/en/forum/vi ... =15#p56785

In the PS3 game Mahjong Haoh: Dankyuu Battle 3 you can set a rule option to choose whether the effect is for tsumo ippatsu only or for any tsumo riichi win.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Darn, it's uglier than I thought then.

When it comes to exotic variants, Barticle's word trumps all.

(/goes back to playing standard ari-ari mahjong)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:13 pm

yes, i guess it's true. Sooner or later, you can find an optional rule which covers every possibility.
I even found a game which takes the ryan han shibari rule literally, it allows a dora (which is a han though not a yaku) to count as part of the 2-han minimum for the win (at a honba count of 5, naturally).
If its not a flaw in the game, it must be just another optional rule.
Didn't know (or think) that one even existed.
Can I get a detailed translation on this?
I'm looking for clues.
image.jpg
image.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 14541 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:30 am

五本場以上のときに二翻縛りに行なう (あり) か行わない (なし) を選択します。

This just means: You can choose, when with 5 Honba, to use or not the Ryan han shibari rule.

So I suppose this is from an options or explanation screen.

Sadly, this doesn't help.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:38 pm

Senechal wrote:[...]When it comes to exotic variants, Barticle's word trumps all.

(/goes back to playing standard ari-ari mahjong)
Heh! Can I not tempt you with some Aotenjou...?

I've studied the many and various rule options in all the retail PS3 and PS4 mahjong games, the majority of DS games and a couple of vintage titles. I think it's quite telling that MHDB3 - the game with more options than any other I've played - is the only one to include Haku Pocchi. It's really pretty uncommon.

The Ippatsu-only setting feels a little too restrictive to me.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:37 am

Bart- That may be true if you use only one of them, like I do, but if you use all 4, it could turn into a nightmare without the ippatsu restriction. I would rather just have it as a once in a blue moon novelty.
I found a group down here today that was playing american mahjong with the 8 jokers. (and flowers....and charleston....and those cards )
I won't be playing with them! Too bad.
Incidentally, have you ever run across that ryan han shibari thing I mentioned above?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:36 am

I think it's more usual just to play with one Haku Pocchi - and IIRC the only tile-set I ever saw that had them only had two (along with six red fives to replace all the flowers).

You're limited to tsumo for the wildcard win and you'll get a limited number of draws after reaching giving you perhaps six or eight chances to draw one or two Haku Pocchi which only give you a basic win with no extra doubles (unless you're playing with bonus chips). If you have a standard two-sided wait you could have up to eight normal winning tiles available and you can get them by tsumo or ron so the Haku Pocchi give you relatively few additional winning opportunities.

Of course - if they can agree - players are free to configure the number of tiles and the ippatsu rule to control the average frequency of these wins.

I think it would be interesting at least to watch some American mahjong. (and mutter from the sidelines)

As far as I'm aware any conditional (5+ Honba) so-called "two-han requirement" will never count dora, although as we know there are endless rule variants and exceptions out there.

I suggest you take some screenshots if you think it's happening.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:16 pm

or2az wrote: I would rather just have it as a once in a blue moon novelty.
Well. there must have been a blue moon last night because I got struck by a haku pocchi this morning.
I got the standard riichi-ippatsu-tsumo but then it got interesting.
I was waiting on the 1-crak 4-crak .
The computer was smart enough to use the wild card as the 4, giving me tanyao as well, but it wasn't smart enough to count it as the fourth dora. ( 6-bam 4-crak 4-crak 4-crak ),
unless I'm not looking at this correctly.
Maybe it's not part of the optional rule although it seems like it should be.
Bart, what do you think?
phphDEbnhPM.jpg
phphDEbnhPM.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 14475 times
phpPJlg4oPM.jpg
phpPJlg4oPM.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 14475 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:25 am

It's cool that you hit the (ura) dora. If you were to deliberately try to test that scenario it could take you a very long time, especially with that ippatsu-only restriction.

I think if you have a takame/yasume situation you're free to take the more valuable tile (your takame). That is another benefit of having an "almighty tile" (wildcard).

There probably would be a rule about whether or not you can claim a dora bonus too. Also if you have four identical tiles in your hand can you add a fifth?

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Goldeneye » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Not to mention that you were furiten as well because of your 1 man discard very early... That is some luck indeed with that ippatsu tsumo.