How to discard in a "stylish" way?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

How to discard in a "stylish" way?

Post by Ruro » Sat May 16, 2009 9:45 pm

I have an interesting question, and well it\'s not really about game mechanics but rather about the style in you are playing. When you play are you sometimes discard in a stylish way (i mean like drawing a tile and holding it between your index and middle finger and then flipping it with your thumb and discarding it) or just discard in the same old manner as always. And how much pressure do you use when discarding?(just a little? Or will it cause an earthquake ? :D ) And if you use some kind if a \"flashy\" move then what type it is. This pretty much applies for real life play of course. Well then i\'m waiting your replies impatiently :)

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:How to discard in a "stylish" way?

Post by Senechal » Sun May 17, 2009 3:53 am

I slam (within reason) the 3rd, 8th and 9th tile indiscriminately of what my hand is, and slide the 5th and 7th.

It minimizes tells on my hand. Style with a purpose.
Club Riichi de Montréal (Canada) http://riichi.ca/ (If you're from elsewhere, keep in touch with us too!)

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Sun May 17, 2009 1:59 pm

I tend to turn tiles so that they land with the face around the \"right\" way - but occasionally I let them land so that the face is \"upside-down\", especially if I take a tile from the wall and discard it immediately.

Every tile except the White Dragon is slightly a-symmetrical.

I guess I pluck a tile from the hand with thumb and middle finger, with the index finger guiding it into place on the discard row after those other two digits have relinquished their hold.

iandstanley
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by iandstanley » Mon May 18, 2009 11:43 am

I tend to place and slide unless it\'s a win then it tends to get moderately slapped (depending on the table ... I am careful when visiting unless the owner slaps)

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Sun May 24, 2009 4:27 pm

As for me I like to smash the tiles, I know it\'s not too polite but hearing the classical \"DON\" sound of the tiles as the bamboo hit\'s the table is damn satisfying. As for drawing, i tend to hold and draw tiles that my index and ring finger are supporting the two sides and my middle finger is on the top, by this way if the just drawn tile is useless i just flip it with my thumb and middle finger and discard it. Sometimes i just draw the plainly way (supporting the tile with the thumb and the middle finger , the index finger on top), and by this way i can flip it over with my thumb (rolling it sideways). Is this too much to \"stylise\" my play i wonder :P

oxoboxo
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by oxoboxo » Mon May 25, 2009 11:57 am

It\'s been a tradition in my dorm to turn the red dragon around so the bottom faces your opponent, and we call it the Chun Beam, the ultimate weapon, and the white dragon is a shield against that so if you have it, you\'re ok XD

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:How to discard in a

Post by Ruro » Mon May 25, 2009 3:51 pm

oxoboxo wrote:It\'s been a tradition in my dorm to turn the red dragon around so the bottom faces your opponent, and we call it the Chun Beam, the ultimate weapon, and the white dragon is a shield against that so if you have it, you\'re ok XD
This is a hilarious but funny way to play :D I always visualised mahjong as a game of "gathering the soldiers for the siege" :)

Rissun
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:How to discard in a

Post by Rissun » Wed May 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Ohh, style of discarding, that is interesting. Shows much about personality ( well, maybe :) )

Since playing to many different Japanese games, I totally acquired the \"Ossanlike\" (oldman style, so a parlor owner called it) type of discarding. Between Indexfinger and Middlefinger, flip it before it touches the ground, move all other fingers before the middlefinger away, then move your hand away.

This style has two huge advantages: First, you can controll the sound of the hitting the table very easily. Second is, you can \"shoot\" the tiles into the river if you playing a game of \"1 Secound 1 Discard\", saving you quite some time over the long run. (You just have to straighten the river out as long as someone else is drawing).

Tang
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tang » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:37 am

I know this thread is a little old and apologize if it\'s against the rules, but it\'s an interesting thread!

What I do is this...

I grab the tile with my thumb at the bottom and both my index/middle finger at the top tile, let it hit the table immediately and gently, slide it to my side of the table, let it hit my side of the table (creating a subtle noise), then using my index finger, push down at the edge of the tile and make if flip to the other side! If I Tsumo, then I immediately make my tiles drop one at a time from right to left in a quick fashion (domino!), if not then I just use the same index finger and push it into the river gently.

Nice and fluid, with a nice bang if I win! I was influenced by Saki to play, so you can guess I\'m a very flashy type of player. Haha!