Requests for More Videos?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Requests for More Videos?

Post by HotelFSR » Wed May 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Let me know what topics you would like to see.

I was thinking of doing my next one on the power of keeping number tiles you think your opponent wants (or will want).

It can be better to have your opponent push with a hand he\'s very unlikely to win than to have him fold. This way he\'s more likely to feed you a winner. This is one good way of increasing your win percentage that extra bit higher while still keeping your losses low.

The secret of winning a lot is figuring out how to play defensively without throwing too many hands away, reducing your reliance on total folding.

I\'m also open to more basic videos depending on what you want.

Tha_Reaper
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Requests for More Videos?

Post by Tha_Reaper » Wed May 20, 2009 6:48 pm

i would like to see how the more experienced player lets the dora, round wind and player wind influence his playing style. maybe also when its a good moment to open kan/pon/chi, and when it should be avoided at all cost.

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Thu May 21, 2009 10:38 am

Sure, I\'ll cover that in my next video.

The short answer to your questions:

- don\'t throw any tiles that can be used in sets with the dora, unless you already have a monster hand and they are completely unusable. e.g. dora is 5 of dots. you have no dots in your hand, but you draw a 6 of dots. KEEP IT.

Wait to draw more dots and use them or hide them from the other players.

- all honor tiles should be thrown away unless you have a pair. keep them only if you have a lead and want either a quick win or to hide them from your opponents when you have a weak hand. the only exception is your double wind, which you should mostly keep. If your hand is weak, hold on to someone else\'s double wind.

- calculate how much your hand is likely to be worth very early, and shoot for mangan. if you have mangan potential (e.g. the classic concealed simples sequences) DO NOT waste it by opening your hand. Open only if you have a great shot at open mangan, or a weak but winnable hand to prevent what looks like an opposing player\'s mangan.

iandstanley
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by iandstanley » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:48 pm

Another good one for beginners .... the effect on NOT calling pon/kong and waiting to see how a game develops. Many beginners seriously weaken their hand by calling for a tile early in the game. A video demonatration of how the hand could go would be a very powerful lesson. That was one revelation that I found transformed my games.